Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:59 pm

Matter of taste, but be happy its here rather than buried in the World Cinema thread. It does belong here however, although I don't think I was the one who moved it.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:19 pm

Considering how the thread has spread into a discussion of several of Herzog's films, I'm surprised it wasn't moved to the directors board.

By the way, there are two box sets available in the UK, eleven films & docs in total for 20.00 per set at HMV.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:06 am

I moved it to the classic Forum because it's older than 20 years. in World cinema we usually discuss "newer" films. It's not meant in a negative way, simply to keep our site a bit tidier. Classic doesn't mean the films don't have as much actuality, just that they were made a few years back.
I've missed something like 4 or 5 opportunities to see "Aguirre", (one was even at cinema where I intended to go, but things got in the way)
Wanting to see it for some years already, I hope it won't take much longer that i stumble over it. Amen.
A

Postby A » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:08 am

Btw, here in germany you have lots of Herzog's work available on DVD, even some of his shorts. If you don't depend on subtitles, import is an option.
A

Postby Sara » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:26 pm

Well, thanks to A's review of Woyzeck, I should be getting it from Netflix on Monday.

A said it has "the best closing shot I have ever seen. Simply eye-popping."

Now who can resist seeing something like that? I can't!

Looking forward to seeing Woyzeck, especially that "eye-popping" closing shot!

Sara
Sara

Postby wpqx » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:26 pm

well don't mean to contradict your information, but I found it the weakest film Herzog made with Kinski, but I'm also a little in the minority with my love of Cobra Verde.
wpqx

Postby A » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:37 pm

I was so intrigued by it, I kept rewinding my VHS copy to watch it again.
Recently I discovered that my local library has it on DVD. I'll check it out in the coming months. Can't wait to see how I'll react.
I wonder how you will like the film Sara. I hope you'll post something on it.
Haven't seen any other films Herzog made with Klaus, so I can't confirm wpqx's statement.
A

Postby Sara » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:25 pm

Klaus was wonderful in Woyzeck. I was mesmerized by his face, his body language, his intensity throughout the film.

A, you talked about the closing shots (which I agree were unbelievable) but I would like to say that the opening shot of Kinski marching - the music - and the look on his face won me right away. His face is a map of distress.

Woyzeck belongs right up there with Aguirre. The scenery is not as glorious as Aguirre, but Klaus' acting was superb.

Why in the murder scene did I keep thinking about Shakespeare's Othello. "First put out the light, then put out the light."

Klaus was so driven, but even in all of his rage and confusion and pathos, I felt he loved Marie dearly and was just so deranged and tortured by things within him, he was on a path he could not get off of.

Did he live at the end? I wondered if he even wanted to.

By all means, see Woyzeck. It is one of Herzog's greatest, and certainly the best I have seen of Klaus Kinski. (And that says a lot because I loved him in Aguirre, Fitzcaraldo, and Nosferatu the Vampire.)

Thanks again, A, for telling us about this film.

Sara
Sara

Postby A » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:18 pm

Yes, I remember the great opening scenes while the titles were on display. Gives you a vivid impression of the life Woyzeck had to lead before the events in the film.
A

Postby wpqx » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:51 am

Watched the film tonight as part of my top 100 revision and man it is probably better than I remembered. Herzog provides a fairly informative commentary which is guided by an interviewer to help explain the origin of many of the shots. There is an incredibly poetic quality of the film that is impossible to explain or reproduce. Still extraordinary that seems easier to appreciate after seeing another dozen or so Herzog films since.
wpqx

Previous

Return to Film Talk