Le Samourai - Melville

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Le Samourai - Melville

Postby Sara » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:30 pm

I watched Melville's Le Samourai yesterday.

I was glued to my seat. It was an experience quite different from so many other "gangster" movies.

There are only a few words spoken throughout the movie. And the samourai was smart, quick, and very solitary. He rarely displayed any emotion on his face. (And by the way, he was BEAUTIFUL.)

The scenes were clear, and muted grays and blues. It was cool yet full of suspense.

Here is Ebert's review: rogerebert.suntimes.com/a...10337/1023

This film has finally come to the US on DVD, and if you haven't seen it, I urge you to. It was visually a treat, and the action was wonderfully paced.

Sara
Sara

Re: Le Samourai - Melville

Postby trevor826 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:05 pm

Hi Sara, sounds like you've got a thing for Alain Delon going on. Out of interest have you seen "Ghost Dog" from Jim Jarmusch which was influenced by "Le Samourai".

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:25 am

Hehe, you should watch more films with Alain Delon. He wasn`t only beautiful, but could also act!
The film is really cool, and I enjoyed it immensly when i saw it the last time.
And you should follow Trevor recommendation. If you liked "Le Samourai", "Ghost Dog" may also be your cup of tea (if you don`t have problems with Jarmusch, that is ).

Le Samourai really succeeded in creating a unique atmosphere. I also liked the cinematography and the editing very much.
One scene still sticks in my head after all the years. When Delon enters his apartment, and notices that something`s wrong because of his bird. That look upon Delon`s face has stayed with me...
A

Postby madhuban » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:05 am

Hi Sara,

Some more Alain Delon recommendations:

If you haven't seen Antonioni's L'Eclisse, do see it. One of those films where, as A mentions, he does not only look good, but acts well.

The other one that I can think of is "La Piscine". Not a great film, but Delon is good.

M
madhuban

Postby Sara » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:28 pm

Thanks for the two movie suggestions with Alain Delon. I've always thought about L'Eclisse and now I have another good reason to rent it!

And I also put Ghost Dog in my Netflix queue - I like Jim Jarmusch. (I loved his Dead Man with Johnny Depp. It's one of my favorites - especially the opening scene on the train.)

Thanks. I hope to be watching both of the above movies soon.

Sara
Sara

Postby A » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:02 pm

If you are intrigued by Alain Delon, I would further suggest "Les felins" (Rene Clement / France / 1964), a beautifully shot french film noir, starring Jane Fonda.
And he also played alongside Jean Gabin in one of my favorite films "Two Men in Town" (deux hommes dans la ville / Jose Giovanni / 1973 / france, Italy). This is actually a neglected masterpiece and one of the most heartfelt denunciations of the death penalty (that also existed in France!) I've ever seen. Beautiful cinematography, very good editing and a gorgeous score by Philippe Sarde complement the memorable acting and a solid directing job. It also has Gerard Depardieu in one of his early supporting roles as a small-time crook
Both films are on DVD in the US I believe.
A

Postby wpqx » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:41 am

I just watched it too. The Ghost Dog comparisons are not without merit. I would like to add Le Cercle Rouge to the list. It is also by Melville and also stars Delon, so certainly worth picking up.

As for the film itself, Delon isn't the only actor that is emotionless, everyone is. It's a great stylized acting that is very familiar for French films of the period. Almost Bressonian in it's lack of emotion, although Bresson had an amazing way of coaching actors even without changing expressions. The film is quiet, moving, and how about that ending? I'm still trying to figure it out.
wpqx

Postby peppajaa » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:20 pm

Alain Delon is a favorite of mine. I've seen many of his films, and if you are interested in this actor, see Purple Noon, the original Talented Mr. Ripley.
peppajaa

Postby gratefultiger » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:18 am

ghost dog was also influenced by Suzuki "tokyo drifter" for instance,as can be seen in viewing it,Le samurai is the coolest of cool french films,delon is perfect.
gratefultiger

Postby impossiblefunky » Wed May 31, 2006 1:37 am

I found Ghost Dog to be more heavily influenced by BRANDED TO KILL, esp. the "up the sink" shot.
Cashiers du Cinemart, The Only Magazine That Matters
impossiblefunky

Next

Return to Film Talk