British 60's drama's

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

British 60's drama's

Postby Unregistered(d) » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:01 pm

Could anyone suggest a few titles. I think it was called the kitchen sink school, or Angry young man films?
Unregistered(d)

Re: British 60's drama's

Postby trevor826 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:28 pm

Kitchen Sink Dramas, the mainstay of the British film industry. I'd suggest looking at the films of Ken Loach for a start, "Cathy Come Home" and "Kes" are two good examples.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:51 pm

For "angry young man" try "If" from Lindsay Anderson.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:57 pm

I can only recommend Kes and If..., which were mentioned above. Haven`t seen any others, yet.
A

Postby wpqx » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:29 pm

I wouldn't suggest If for angry young man films.

The movement began really with Look Back in Anger, and also from Tony Richardson you should check out Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. There's also Anderson's first film This Sporting Life. Aside from those Saturday Night and Sunday Morning is something to look for. Drawing a blank on others right now.
wpqx

Postby A » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:47 pm

Yeah, I forgot Saturday Night and Sunday morning. That`s a classic that perfectly fits the bill.
A

Postby Johndav » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:56 pm

An overrated time in British cinema, imo- many have dated badly and some "swinging sixties" efforts come across as very sub-par French new wave wannabes or striving too hard and theatrically for grim realism.

As well as Kes and If, try The Servant (Losey). Billy Liar is also worthwhile, hardly a masterpiece, but with the great advantage of Julie Christie who epitomises the era. Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (also with Tom Courtenay as main young protagonist) perhaps has the edge. Antonioni's Blow Up not up to his highest standards but very typical of the period.

Alfie was recently voted by Empire readers the best of Bristh that decade, but it's pretty naff. The Italian Job was a flag-waving crowd-pleaser from 69 also with recent Hollywood remake.

Not forgetting the Bond films and Pink Panther (not dramas admittedly)....
Johndav

Postby wpqx » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:47 pm

I always figured Billy Liar was the first "non Angry Young Man" film from the 60's. But as a 60's drama I say it works, as does Schlessinger's follow up Darling, a much better film imo. The Servant might not be a gem of realism, but it remains my favorite Losey film and one of the best British films I've ever seen.
wpqx

Postby peppajaa » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:12 am

Anything with Dirk Bogarde!
peppajaa

Return to Film Talk