The War Game (1965 - UK)

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

The War Game (1965 - UK)

Postby trevor826 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:12 am

The War Game (1965)

Directed by Peter Watkins

A documentary/drama made for the BBC but banned from being shown on television for twenty years.

Made in the middle of the cold war this film gives an idea of what it would probably be like if a nuclear attack on Britain took place. Using elements of the news of the time with the problems between East/West Berlin and the looming war in Vietnam along with data collected following the bombing of Hamburg, Dresden and of course, Hiroshima and Nagasaki plus details of the governments survival plans, it paints a grim picture of the resulting attack and the after effects.

Im sure wpqx has probably seen this as it won an Oscar for best documentary and to be honest, I think its the sort of film everyone should see. Its frightening, both the visual details and the facts and figures thrown at you, if this doesnt make a pacifist of you, nothing will. This is almost, if not more harrowing than Barefoot Gen, this is scary stuff and just proves what a bunch of retards human beings are as a species.

Some of the facts dealing with life after an attack like this or any form of disaster where normal society has collapsed reminded me of the reports following hurricane Katrina. This film has more truth and integrity than all the government pamphlets and instructional films put together, painfully honest and horrific.

Highly recommended, a must see film in my opinion.

Cheers Trev.

BBFC rated 15.

Return to Film Talk