Arturo Ripstein

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Arturo Ripstein

Postby wpqx » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:17 am

While doing my Luis Bunuel research I constantly here the name of Arturo Ripstein brought up as a legitimate heir to Bunuel's thrown. Now I am ashamed to say I've never seen any films from this so-called legend. So I'll most likely work on this in the upcoming months. In the meantime if anyone has any thoughts on his films, what's worth seeing, what DVD's to look for or beware of, let me know.
wpqx

Re: Arturo Ripstein

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:45 am

I'm not surprised that you did. Ripstein, who I think is the best Mexican filmmaker working today, served as an uncredited assistant to Buuel on The Exterminating Angel. He was only a teenager at the time but one who had already been influenced by Nazarn. As I've stated before, I wish Ripstein was better known. He's very well respected in certain European and South American countrries, arguably even more so than in his own: at least eight of his films have played at Cannes, three in-competition. Ripstein's recent experimentation with digital-video hasn't really fetched him further acclaim. And I'm sure he's perfectly content with the status quo since his oeurve reflects an extremely personal vision which is uncompromising in is presentation. Ripstein's films often feature claustrophobic milieus and are, in most cases, based on the society's marginalized. The ubiquitous mixture of extreme melodrama and surrealism is fascinating to watch. Ripstien's long list of collaborators include the likes of Gabriel Garca Mrquez and Carlos Fuentes. But since the mid-80s, he's primarly worked with screen-writer (and now-wife) Paz Alicia Garciadiego. The surreal and psychological Deep Crimson is his best-known work stateside; it's also one of two of his films that've been featured at the NYFF so far. Two other fine efforts, The Place Without Limits, which was part of Somos' list, and the newer Such Is Life were recently issued on DVD in the U.S. All in all, about ten of his films are available on DVD here, including such key efforts as The Realm of Fortune and Cadena Perpetua. I briefly discussed a couple of them a while back, before we had our technical problems. I'm glad that you've started this thread. His oeuvre needs as much exposure as possible. I hope this was helpful.
arsaib4

Re: Arturo Ripstein

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:13 am

I'll add his work to the never ending list of films to look for.
wpqx

Return to Film Talk