Eclipse

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Eclipse

Postby justindeimen » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:19 pm

Just received Series 2 of the Eclipse collection with Louis Malle's documentaries.

I'm starting with Calcutta then Phantom India.

At this point in time, I'm deeply entranced by the culture as well as shaken by the images of poverty in the country that by all accounts must have been exacerbated 40 years later. Plenty of fodder for a review however and a write-up of it would definitely serve as a carthartic experience.
justindeimen

Postby arsaib4 » Fri May 11, 2007 4:32 am

Looking forward to the reviews.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Sun May 20, 2007 9:08 pm

Series 5: The First Films of Samuel Fuller

I Shot Jesse James / The Baron of Arizona / The Steel Helmet
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon May 21, 2007 5:46 pm

Gotta love Fuller. I noticed though I've been drastically slowing down my rentals, and there have been a lot of worthwhile releases lately.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon May 21, 2007 10:39 pm

"As far as Im concerned, Americans dont have any original art except Western movies and jazz."Clint Eastwood

Since the Series 5 news broke, I've been contemplating whether to still make a short trip to catch a double-bill of Philip Kaufman's The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid and Fuller's aforementioned I Shot Jesse James, or to bite the bullet (pun intended) and made do with home video.

There certainly have been some great releases lately, and many more are scheduled for the upcoming months.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon May 21, 2007 11:04 pm

Guy Maddin's new movie just got released here, I'm gonna try and catch it sometime this week. I personally would probably wait for the Eclipse release on Fuller. However I still have my calendar marked for White Dog, and some of the upcoming Rivette films.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:02 am

A was less than enthusiastic about Brand Upon the Brain!, which he watched at the Berlinale. But the film has received some good notices in the U.S. from the likes of Dargis, Ebert, Foundas, etc.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Eclipse set also. Good luck with the Rivette screenings.
arsaib4

Postby A » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Yes, Brand upon the Brain! was quite a disappointment. But it wasn't designed as a regular film. I'll certainly give it another try in the future, though.

I read that some of the next Eclipse sets are supposed two be Mizoguchi and Naruse.
Yummy! (even if I'm not yet a fan of Naruse ).
A

Postby wpqx » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:30 pm

Always excited about new Naruse, Floating Clouds remains on the top of my films to see list. Here's to keeping our fingers crossed.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:18 am

Floating Clouds is available from Eureka/MoC but it'd be great if Eclipse were to release it here. It's considered by many as one of Naruse Mikio's very best films.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk