Eclipse

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Eclipse

Postby A » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:36 am

I had the luck of seeing it on the big screen, but I wasn't impressed at all. I can see why people would be so enthusiastic about it, but so far it's not my cup of tea.
A

Postby wpqx » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:17 pm

Well Facets still doesn't carry it, so as far as I'm concerned its unavailable here. I'll be honest though, of the three Naruse films I've seen, I can't really remember any of them.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:31 pm

I picked up Tokyo Twilight from the Ozu set, and I'll try and get it viewed in the next few days, and report back on the quality.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:08 am

Series 6: Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy

Blood Wedding / Carmen / El amor brujo

*Manuel Yez Murillo on Saura
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:46 am

Good news. I've seen Rosi's Carmen but Saura's has been on my list for years now. He hasn't gotten much attention, and I've only seen three of his films so this is something to look forward to.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:40 am

I was quite impressed by Blood Wedding, which I caught at the Saura retro earlier this year. Looking forward to another viewing of the film.
arsaib4

Postby A » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:44 am

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't choose some of his other films that aren't available and as well known. I'm also very fond of "Blood Wedding" and would like to have a rewatch. Carmen was a bit disappointing for me. Haven't seen the third.
A

Postby wpqx » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:26 pm

I'm pleased with the release, the quality of some of the available Saura films is pretty poor. I'm still looking forward to watching the Fuller films, I've read a few sources saying The Baron of Arizona is one of Vincent Price's best performances.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:18 pm

It's a good choice, but I'm always hoping for the best.

I need to see more Fuller. The fragmentary The Big Red One was outstanding, and his only other feature I've seen, I shot Jesse James, was interesting. I know you're a huge fan, so in my defence I can at state that Forty Guns is waiting on my shelf and begging me to watch it
A

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:08 am

I've seen about 12 Fuller films, and unfortunately the film I'd probably say is the best was White Dog. I say unfortunately because its never been in print in this country. At least there are good transfers of Shock Corridor, Pickup on South Street, and The Naked Kiss which can all just as easily be my favorite film from him. I'm sure I've stated it elsewhere numerous times but I'm a HUGE Vincent Price fan and the review I saw of Baron of Arizona said his work there was among his least hammy and therefore best performances. Ironic then that my favorite Vincent Price performance is arguably his most hammy when he practically parodies himself in His Kind of Woman. Its a supporting role, but he completely steals the show.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk