Eclipse

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Eclipse

Postby wpqx » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:58 pm

I've seen The Smiling Lieutenant. The film is decent but a little by the books Lubitsch. The best part about the film is that it features Miriam Hopkins and as we've discussed elsewhere my admiration for her knows no end. A professor of mine had a copy of Monte Carlo and I've spent the several months bugging him for a copy of it, but it looks like I don't have to worry anymore. One Hour With You was nominated for a best picture Oscar, so there's even more reason for me to be excited about that.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:59 am

The release date is Feb 12.

Not to be outdone, Kino is putting out The Doll and Robert Fischer's new feature-length documentary Ernst Lubitsch in BerlinFrom Schoenhauser Allee to Hollywood on a single disc on Dec 4. It will also be part of a 5-DVD box set being released on the same day.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:04 pm

I'm glad that Kino has put out so many of Lubitsch's earlier German films, and hopefully I'll get around to reading Kristin Thompson's book on them. However, I find his Hollywood work infinitely more accomplished and entertaining and hope that we can see more of it in the future, particularly The Man I Killed and Forbidden Paradise.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:58 am

Series 9: The Delirious Fictions of William Klein

Model Couple, The
Mr. Freedom
Who Are You, Polly Magoo?

and in case you're wondering I've never heard of any of these either.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:43 am

Series 10 - Silent Ozu: Three Family Comedies

Tokyo Chorus / I Was Born, But... / Passing Fancy
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:50 am

Glad to hear it on the Ozu, its a shame so many of his silent films are now lost though.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:55 am

I Was Born, But... didn't strike me as particularly comedic, so the title surprised me a little, but it's finally coming out on DVD and that's all it matters.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:16 am

I think I'm the only person on Earth who doesn't love I Was Born But. I found the pacing horribly slow and much prefer the (semi) remake Ohayu. I would however consider it comedic if not an outright comedy.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:26 am

Correct, it was remade as Ohayô/Good Morning.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:32 am

DVDBeaver on Silent Ozu
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk