Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Criterion

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:28 pm

Figured we could have a thread for this company which has done more for the art of DVD's than any other. I'm particularly excited because A Canterbury Tale is slated for July, and I'm a fan of any and all Powell/Pressburger being released on DVD.

www.criterionco.com/asp/r...on=feature
wpqx

Re: Criterion

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:04 pm

I was about to start one here. Glad you did.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:15 am

I better get on the ball and watch my Tales of Hoffman DVD, but so far Criterion has done wonders with the Powell/Pressburger films released so far, and they don't appear to be stopping. I just hope they're in no hurry to release the Elusive Pimpernel, the only really dismissable film of their's I've seen.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu May 04, 2006 11:15 pm

Coming Soon (June):

nos amours

*New video interviews with Catherine Breillat and Jean-Pierre Gorin

*A 2003 interview with actor Sandrine Bonnaire

*The Human Eye, a 1999 documentary on the film

*Archival interview with Pialat on the set

*Actor auditions

*A booklet featuring essays by critics Molly Haskell and Kent Jones and interviews with Pialat and cinematographer Jacques Loiseleux

Out Now:

Fists in the Pocket

*New video interviews with director Marco Bellocchio, actors Lou Castel and Paola Pitagora, editor Silvano Agosti, and critic Tullio Kezich

*Video afterward by Bernardo Bertolucci

*A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Deborah Young and an interview with Bellocchio
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri May 05, 2006 3:59 pm

Hopefully Fists in the Pocket will be sitting in my mailbox when I get home, that along with Late Spring and probably a few others are on their way. Late Spring I ordered almost entirely because of Wim Wenders Tokyo-Ga being on it, I actually have Late Spring on DVD already (import of course), but the Wenders film has been on my need to see list for years now. God it would be nice if they did some work on his films, or if Anchor Bay finished the work they started.

Anyone know what's happened to Anchor Bay? A bunch of their Herzog films went out of print, as did the Wenders pictures. They were on a roll for quite awhile.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Sun May 21, 2006 6:58 pm

Well the Moral Tales (of course after I get 4 of the 6) are now coming out, as well as. . .

www.criterionco.com/asp/b...asp?id=342

Kicking and Screaming
www.criterionco.com/asp/r...asp?id=349

and
Seduced and Abandoned
www.criterionco.com/asp/r...asp?id=350

I have mixed feelings about the Rohmer set (and for some reason they've changed the title of Chloe in the Afternoon), but the Fox Lorber dvd's were in dreadful shape.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun May 21, 2006 9:43 pm

Yes, Fox Lorber's certainly are in bad shape. The U.K. set wasn't much better, so this I think is good news, even though there are other Rohmer films that deserve the same treatment.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon May 22, 2006 3:02 pm

Still no commentaries, but I never got the first two parts. Plus the short stories are being included in the set, and several other short films, so I most likely will have the thing at my door on or around its release date. Rohmer however is a director who has received a hell of a lot of attention on DVD however. Oh his somewhat major films I think only A Tale of Winter is not on DVD (and that's because of New Yorker most likely). I still prefer attention to be given to directors who have little to no films on DVD. Still hoping someone will convince Wiseman to release some of his films, I've seen four and am absolutely dying for more. Plus it'd be great to see some of the never released in the US films of Nagisa Oshima like Boy, the Ceremony, or Death by Hanging, even the extremely Godardian Diary of a Shinjuku Thief.
wpqx

Postby madhuban » Mon May 22, 2006 3:41 pm

@wpqx

I'm probably committing sacrilege by mentioning this on the Criterion thread, but check out www.japanesenewwave.com. They've just put out 5 Oshima titles. I'm going to get them myself.

M
madhuban

Postby wpqx » Mon May 22, 2006 8:28 pm

No quite the contrary you are quite amazingly awesome for pointing these out. Someting screams "cheap bootleg" to me, but that's the type of version I already have of Death by Hanging and Diary of a Shinjuku Thief. Plus have you seen the amount of early Immamura films they're putting out in the future? Jesus if this company keeps it up they will be a blessing among all blessings. If you have a good experience ordering from them, I would recommend putting up a thread for the site. In fact even if you have a bad experience put up a warning. A lot of people here have some very interesting places to order films (arsaib?) and aren't exactly sharing where.
wpqx

Next

Return to Film Talk