Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Criterion

Postby madhuban » Tue May 23, 2006 4:15 am

I'm forever scouting these sites because I never have the money to order a Criterion disc + pay the prohibitive shipping (for India, it is almost as much as buying another film ). More importantly, these sites have films that are yet unreleased on DVD. You could also send them your wishlist. For instance, superhappyfun has Kira Muratova's "The Asthenic Syndrome" and Varda's "Les Creatures" (there is a non-subtitled version already available) on its "coming soon" list. I don't think anybody's going to release them on DVD in the next ten years

Their service is impeccable. I got 10 DVDs (without frills) of yet unreleased films in ten days flat having paid only $ 3.5 dollars for shipping for the whole lot. Nobody gives me a better deal, so I'll stick with them for rare films.

M
madhuban

Postby arsaib4 » Tue May 23, 2006 4:24 am

Yes, overall, I've also had a good experience shopping from SHF. I've informed wpqx of this site before, but I think either him or someone he knows weren't satisfied with the products/service.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue May 23, 2006 7:55 am

I've generally heard bad things about them, and your words of praise are actually the first positive things mentioned regarding their site. The biggest problem I usually run into is everytime I get a bootleg DVD, someone decides to release a much better official release.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:47 am

Out Now:

Viridiana

"Banned in Spain and denounced by the Vatican, surrealist genius Luis Buuel's hilarious vision of life as a beggar's banquet is regarded by many as his masterpiece. Young novice Viridiana does her utmost to maintain her Catholic principles, but her lecherous uncle and a motley assemblage of paupers force her to confront the limits of her idealism. Winner of the Palme d'or at the 1961 Cannes Film Festival, this anticlerical free-for-all is as shocking today as ever."

*New video interview with Silvia Pinal

*New video interview with Cineaste editor and author Richard Porton

*Excerpts from an episode of "Cinastes de notre temps" (1964) on Buuel's early career

*A new essay by author and film historian Michael Wood

Coming Soon (July):

Yi Yi

*Audio commentary by writer-director Edward Yang and noted Asian-cinema critic Tony Rayns

*New video interview with Rayns about the New Taiwanese Cinema movement

*PLUS: A new essay by Kent Jones
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:06 am

A big month for re-releases for Criterion, as they tentatively have three previously available films being put out in much bigger and better editions.

Playtime

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
#
All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer
#
Video introduction by writer, director, and performer Terry Jones
#
Selected scene commentary by film historian Philip Kemp
#
Au-del de "Playtime," a short documentary featuring archival behind-the-scenes footage from the set
#
Tati Story, a short biographical film about Tati
#
Jacques Tati in Monsieur Hulots Work, a 1976 BBC Omnibus program featuring Tati
#
Rare audio interview with Tati from the U.S. debut of Playtime at the 1972 San Francisco International Film Festival
#
Video interview with script supervisor Sylvette Baudrot
#
Cours du soir, a 1967 short film written by and starring Tati
#
Alternate international soundtrack
#
New and improved English subtitle translation
#
PLUS: A new essay by Jonathan Rosenbaum

Amarcord

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
#
#
Audio commentary by film scholars Peter Brunette and Frank Burke
#
American release trailer
#
Deleted scene
#
Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
#
#
New 45-minute documentary, Fellinis Homecoming, on the complicated relationship between the celebrated director, his hometown, and his past
#
Video interview with star Magali Nol
#
Fellinis drawings of characters in the film
#
Felliniana, a presentation of ephemera devoted to Amarcord from the collection of Don Young
#
Audio interviews with Fellini, his friends, and family by Gideon Bachmann
#
New restoration demonstration
#
PLUS: A book featuring a new essay by scholar Sam Rohdie, author of Fellini Lexicon, and the full text of Fellinis 1967 essay, My Rimini"

Seven Samurai

SPECIAL EDITION THREE-DISC SET FEATURES
#
#
Two audio commentaries: one by film scholars David Desser, Joan Mellen, Stephen Prince, Tony Rayns, and Donald Richie; the other by Japanese-film expert Michael Jeck
#
A 50-minute documentary on the making of Seven Samurai, part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
#
My Life in Cinema, a two-hour video conversation between Akira Kurosawa and Nagisa Oshima produced by the Directors Guild of Japan
#
Seven Samurai: Origins and Influences, a new documentary lookimg at the samurai traditions and films that impacted Kurosawa's masterpiece
#
Theatrical trailers and teaser
#
Gallery of rare posters and behind-the scenes and production stills
#
#
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Peter Cowie, Philip Kemp, Peggy Chiao, Alain Silver, Kenneth Turan, Stuart Galbraith, Arthur Penn, and Sindey Lumet and an interview with Toshiro Mifune
#
More!

and the first time on DVD group

Spirit of the Beehive

New, restored high-definition digital transfer
#
The Footprints of a Spirit, a documentary featuring director Vctor Erice, producer Elas Querejeta, coscreenwriter ngel Fernndez-Santos, and actor Ana Torrent
#
Vctor Erice in Madrid, an interview with the director
#
Interview with film scholar Linda Ehrlich
#
Interview with actor Fernando Fernn Gmez
#
#
PLUS: a new essay by film scholar Paul Julian Smith

Jigoku

#
Building the Inferno, a new documentary on director Nobuo Nakagawa and the making of the film, featuring exclusive interviews with the late actor Yoichi Numata, screenwriter Ichiro Miyagawa, Nakagawa collaborators Chiho Katsura and Kensuke Suzuki, and Cure and Doppelganger director Kiyoshi Kurosawa
#
Theatrical trailer
#
Galleries of posters from selected Nakagawa and Shintoho studio films
#
#
Plus: A new essay by noted Asian-cinema critic Chuck Stephens
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:14 am

It is a shame that Criterion do not release in the UK, there are some wonderful releases on the way. The UK release of Spirit of the Beehive is passable but could really do with a revamp, I guess I should start keeping an eye on this thread and start making my wish list.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:25 pm

I'll admit the re-releases are a little upsetting, considering I already own Amarcord and Seven Samurai on DVD. The Playtime DVD is a little late in being re-vamped. After the film received a brief theatrical run I thought it would be re-released on DVD as well, especially because Mon Oncle and Monsieur Hulot's Holiday came out as well. So I will most likely be picking this one up. I didn't really like Amarcord enough to warrant buying a second DVD of it, and my Seven Samurai is still wrapped in plastic. The new releases, particularly Spirit are certainly something worthwhile.
wpqx

Postby A » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:02 pm

Thanks for your extensiver overview wpqx.
I recently noticed, that amazon.co.uk got Criterion discs for regular sale, and the prices don't seem too high to me...
A

Postby wpqx » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:32 pm

More upcoming releases announced.

Solo con tu pareja

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
#
New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki
#
A new documentary on the making of Slo con tu pareja, featuring Cuarn, screenwriter Carlos Cuarn, and actor Daniel Gimnez Cacho
#
Alfonso Cuarns 1983 short film Quartet for the End of Time
#
Carlos Cuarns 2000 short film Wedding Night
#
Original theatrical trailer
#

Hands Over the City
#
SPECIAL DOUBLE-DISC EDITION FEATURES
#
#
Neapolitan Diary, Rosi's feature-length 1992 sequel to Hands Over the City
#
New video interviews with director Francesco Rosi, film critic Tullio Kezich, and filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin
#
Video discussion with Rosi, co-writer Raffaele La Capria, and film critic Michel Ciment
#
Plus: A new essay by film critic Stuart Klawams and a 2003 interview with Rosi

Clean Shaven

#
New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Lodge Kerrigan
#
Audio commentary in which Steven Soderbergh interviews Kerrigan
#
New video piece written and narrated by critic Michael Atkinson exploring the films unique subjectivity and sound design
#
MP3 downloads from the film's final sound mix
#
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
#
Plus: A new essay by critic Dennis Lim

Sweetie

#
New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Sally Bongers and approved by director Jane Campion
#
New Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack Audio commentary featuring Campion and Bongers and screenwriter Gerard Lee
#
Making Sweetie, a new video interview featuring stars Genevieve Lemon and Karen Colston
#
Campions early short films: An Exercise in Discipline: Peel; Passionless Moments; and A Girls Own Story
#
Jane Campion: The Film School Years, a 1989 conversation between Campion and critic Peter Thompson
#
Gallery of behind-the-scenes photos and production stills
#
Original theatrical trailer
#
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
#
Plus: A new essay by film scholar Dana Polan

Of this bunch I'm most excited about Sweetie and Hands Over the City.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:15 am

Hopefully the release of Clean Shaven will also bring some attention to Kerrigan's latest, Keane, which made my Top 26 of '05.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk