Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Criterion

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:40 pm

I'm certainly curious, considering I haven't seen either. The Moral Tales boxed set is being released Tuesday, if anyone picks it up in the near future, feel free to review it.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:47 pm

More new announcements for November

The Fallen Idol (1948)

#
New, restored high-definition digital transfer
#
A Sense of Carol Reed, a 2006 documentary featuring interviews with director Carol Reed's friends and collaborators Illustrated Reed filmography
#
Original press book
#
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
#
PLUS: A book featuring new essays by film critic Geoffrey O'Brien, author David Lodge, and Reed biographer Nicholas Wapshott

The Double Life of Veronique (1991)
#
Audio commentary by film scholar Annette Insdorf
#
Three short documentary films by Kieslowski: Factory (1970), Hospital (1976), and Railway Station (1980)
#
Kieslowski -- Dialogue (1991), a documentary featuring a candid interview with Kieslowski and rare behind-the-scenes footage from the set of The Double Life of Veronique
#
1966 -- 1988: Kieslowski, Polish Filmmaker, a 2005 documentary tracing the filmmaker's work in Poland, from his days as a student through The Double Life of Veronique
#
A 2005 interview with actress Irene Jacob
#
New video interview with cinematographer Slawomir Idziak
#
New video interview with composer Zbigniew Preisner
#
The Musicians (1958) , a short film by Kieslowski's teacher Kazimierz Karabasz
#
New and improved English subtitle translation
#
PLUS: A book featuring new essays by Jonathan Romney, Slavoj Zizek, and Peter Cowie, and excerpts from Kieslowski on Kieslowski

Pandora's Box (1928)

#
New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the definitive Munich Film Museum restoration
#
Four different musical scores, each with its own unique stylistic interpretation of the film
#
Audio commentary by film scholars Thomas Elsaesser and Mary Ann Doane
#
Louise Brooks: Looking for Lulu, a 1998 documentary
#
Lulu in Berlin (48 minutes), a rare 1971 interview with Brooks by verite documentarian Richard Leacock
#
A new video interview with Leacock
#
A new interview with G. W. Pabst's son, Michael
#
#
PLUS: A book including Kenneth Tynan's famous essay "The Girl in the Black Helmet," a chapter from Louise Brooks's evocative memoir discussing her relationship with Pabst, and a new essay by film critic J. Hoberman
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:39 am

MK2, Artifical-Eye, and now Criterion -- three major DVD distributors who either have or will release Veronique this year.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:21 pm

I knew it was coming, considering its the only film of Kieslowski's made in the last 25 years currently unavailable, especially after the top notch job from AE. I don't seem to be quite as fond of the film as several other people on this site, although perhaps with another viewing (courtesy of a loaded DVD) it might help.

Of the bunch Reed's The Fallen Idol is the film I'm most excited about, even though its the one with the fewest special features. I knew Pandora's Box was going to be on the horizon, its far too important not to be on DVD, especially considering Home Vision released the VHS of it. Pabst is still relatively ignored on DVD (compared to Fritz Lang anyways). So with any luck Pandora's Box will lead to Westfront, which may lead to the Joyless Street, The Treasure, etc.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:44 am

DECEMBER

Symbiopsychotaxiplasm

Synopsis courtesy of Criterion co.

"Here is an open-ended film, with no plot we can see, no end that we can see, and action we cant follow, frets a sound man in William Greavess one-of-a-kind fiction/documentary hybrid Symbiopsychotaxiplasm Take One. Director Greaves presides over his beleaguered film crew in New Yorks Central Park in 1968, leaving them to try to glean what kind of movie theyre making from what theyre seeing: a strange, bickering couple enacting a break-up scenario over and over, a documentary crew filming a crew filming the crew, locals wandering casually into the frame. Multilayered and wildly entertaining, Symbiopsychotaxiplasm Take One defies easy description yet remains one of the most tightly focused movies ever made about making movies. Criterion presents this long-unreleased gem in a special two-disc edition, along with its sequel, made thirty-five years later, which revisits the same characters and further blurs the line between reality and fiction."

Special Features

William Greavess full-length 2005 sequel, Symbiopsychotaxiplasm Take 2 1/2
New program about Greavess career, featuring Greaves, Louise Archambault, actress Ruby Dee, filmmaker St. Clair Bourne, and film scholar Scott MacDonald
New video interview with actor Steve Buscemi
Plus: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Amy Taubin and production notes by Greaves

The Beales of Grey Gardens

Special Features

New digital transfer, approved by director Albert Maysles
New video introduction by Maysles
Plus: A new essay by cultural critic Michael Musto

Grey Gardens (re-release)

Special Features

DISC ONE: Grey Gardens

Audio commentary by filmmakers Albert Maysles, Ellen Hovde, Muffie Meyer, and Susan Froemke
Excerpts from a recorded interview with Little Edie Beale by Kathryn G. Graham for Interview magazine (1976)
Video interviews with fashion designers Todd Oldham and John Bartlett on the influence of Grey Gardens
Filmographies

DISC TWO: The Beales of Grey Gardens
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:55 am

Surprised that Grey Gardens is getting a re-release, but luckily for me I never picked up the first release, so once again procrastination has paid off. I'm curious about Greaves film as well, and until just this second I've never heard of it. I'm getting behind on their releases though, but I'll worry about it once my pile of dvd's to watch gets back to a manageable 20 or so.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:02 am

JANUARY

MOUCHETTE

Audio commentary by film scholar, critic, and festival programmer Tony Rayns
Au hasard Bresson, a half-hour documentary about the director, including behind-the-scenes footage of Robert Bresson directing Mouchette
"Traveling," a segment from the cine-magazine TV series Cinma, featuring on-set interviews with Bresson and actors Nadine Nortier and Jean-Claude Guilbert
Original theatrical trailer, cut by Jean-Luc Godard
Plus: A new essay by writer Robert Polito
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:08 am

Yeah I saw the new releases for January, and honestly I wasn't overly excited about any of the announcements. Granted I think Mouchette an amazing film, but I do not yet see a pressing need to replace my VHS. Likewise the re-releases of Sanjuro and Yojimbo make me a little upset they didn't do it right the first time. As far as the other, well none of those films are making me jump for joy. Those Karloff films are better reserved for public domain.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:23 am

Heck, I own the Nouveaux's U.K. DVD of Mouchette and I'm still looking forward to it.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:06 pm

In my days of greater disposable income then certainly its worth the upgrade. I still haven't gotten the DVD of Diary of a Country Priest. Then again I think you're a bigger fan of Mouchette than I am. Granted I think its one of Bresson's best, but there's at least two I'd put above it.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk