Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Criterion

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:52 am

No interest?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:02 am

I've never actually heard of the films being released (besides Dassin's of course) so its not like my wish list is getting any smaller with these announcements.
wpqx

Postby A » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:20 pm

Haven't heard of the documentary (if that is the case), and I'm not a big fan of La Haine, though I would like to see it again. Brute Force might be interesting.
But the three releases are nothing that would get me excited.
A

Postby hengcs » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:37 am

hi
I think I watched the 10 anniversary edition
hengcs

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:45 am

I'm a little surprised that you weren't aware of La Haine, wpqx. It has played on American television quite a bit over the last few years (and usually in proper aspect-ratio). It also already exists on a few snazzy-looking Region-2 sets. Like A, I'm also not a big fan of the film, though it must be said that the film has gained a newfound importance after the recent events in the low-income "banlieue" districts around Paris. If you're wondering why Jodie Foster is going to introduce the film, it's because she helped distribute it in the U.S. after viewing it at Cannes '95, where Kassovitz (whom you may recall played the love interest in Amlie) controversially won the best director award. Filmmakers such as Tavernier and Brisseau had delved into this subject matter earlier, but their efforts lacked the flashy, in-your-face approach of La Haine.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:53 am

Nah, not ringing a bell, I suppose I might check it out just to see what all the fuss I missed was about.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:13 am

"Haven't heard of the documentary (if that is the case)"

Overlord is docu-fiction hybrid shot by A Clockwork Orange/Barry Lyndon's DP John Alcott. It won the Silver Bear at Berlin '75.
arsaib4

Postby A » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:19 pm

wohow, now that's something for me! I may not buy it, but I'll certainly give it a look if I ever get my hands on it.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:17 am

A clue.

hmmm...
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:27 am

Berlin Alexanderplatz is nothing new, as I heard the Criterion rumors years ago.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk