Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Criterion

Postby A » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:42 pm

I agree with you, I would also like to have two other Marker films newly released in a subtitled version. But if Criterion started with these two, it might be a sign that there's more to come in the future.
ANd I would like to see those two masterpieces finally in french and with subtitles.
A

Postby wpqx » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:15 pm

I don't know how Sans Soleil would be in French with subtitles, there was so much going on in that film, that I feel like I would have been hopelessly lost if I had to read along with watching. I agree with arsaib on this one though, there are several versions of these two films to be released on DVD elsewhere, that it makes it a bit of a let down.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:23 am

It's possible that Criterion would include both the French and English audio tracks (like the Arte edition). Marker has spoken out against the use of subtitles in the past, and most recently allowed an English voice-over for The Case of the Grinning Cat, even though the French intertitles were minimally used.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:24 pm

I'm glad to here that about Cat, the DVD is available here, but without titles, and my French literacy is probably equivalent to a four year old.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:46 am

JUNE

LA JETE/SANS SOLEIL

GUILLAUME-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

New video interview with filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin.
Chris on Chris, a video piece on Marker by filmmaker and critic Chris Darke.
An excerpt from the French TV series Court Circuit: The Magazine, presenting a clip from David Bowies music video, "Jump They Say," which is inspired by La jete.

THE TWO OF US

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

Le poulet (1962), director Claude Berris Oscar-winning short film, an earlier, playful take on the subject of disguise.
New video interviews, with Berri and actor Alain Cohen.
Two interviews from 1967: Berri on his family roots and identity and Michel Simon on his role.
An excerpt from a 1975 French talk-show segment, "The Jewish Children of Occupied France," featuring Berri and the woman who helped secure his familys safety during World War II.
PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic David Sterritt, an appreciation of the film by Franois Truffaut, and excerpts from Berris memoir.

IF....

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by cinematographer Miroslav Ondricek and assistant editor Ian Rakoff.
Audio commentary featuring film critic and historian David Robinson and actor Malcolm McDowell.
A 2003 episode from the Scottish TV series Cast and Crew about If. . . ., featuring interviews with McDowell, Ondricek, directors assistant Stephen Frears, producer Michael Medwin, and screenwriter David Sherwin.
Thursdays Children (1955), Andersons Academy Awardwinning breakthrough documentary about a school for deaf children, co-directed by Guy Brenton and narrated by Richard Burton.
New video interview with actor Graham Crowden.
PLUS: A booklet featuring pieces by critic David Ehrenstein, screenwriter David Sherwin, and director Lindsay Anderson.

WR: MYSTERIES OF THE ORGANISM

Audio commentary assembled from Raymond Durgnat's 1999 book on the film.
Hole in the Soul, Makavejevs 1994 tragicomic autobiographical short film, originally made for the BBC .
New video interview with Makavejev.
PLUS: A new essay by critic Jonathan Rosenbaum.

SWEET MOVIE

New video interview with Makavejev.
New interview with Balkan film scholar Dina Iordanova.
Actress Anna Prucnal sings a song featured in the film.
PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Stanley Cavell and David Sterritt.
arsaib4

Postby justindeimen » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:17 am

Man, some of those upcoming releases are already getting my panties moist.
justindeimen

Postby wpqx » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:57 am

I honestly hit a stage where I can't remember what Makavejev films I've seen. I think I have Sweet Movie, but am not positive, the other releases although not surprising are at least long overdue. Oh and now that If is out, one can only hope that O Lucky Man will follow suit.
wpqx

Postby Johann » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:42 pm

wpqx, if you saw "Sweet Movie" you'd probably remember it.

Hard to forget a work of art like that one...
Johann

Postby wpqx » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:37 am

Can't remember if that was the one about the first Yugoslavian sound film, fictional of course.
wpqx

Postby A » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:57 pm

Nope, that's another one, I believe "Innocence Unprotected" which is the only film by Makavejev I've seen so far. But the film is half documentary, though I'm not 100% sure if the film discussed was actually the first sound film from Yugoslavia.

From what I've read about it, Johann is quite right if he thinks you would remember "Sweet Movie" - must be one of the most disturbing films ever made.
A

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk