Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Criterion

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:17 am

I read a brief description of it, and it sounds great. So far Love Affair is my clear favorite film of his, so I'll try and pick this up.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:02 am

JULY

THREE FILMS BY HIROSHI TESHIGAHARA

PITFALL
WOMAN IN THE DUNES
THE FACE OF ANOTHER

SPECIAL FOUR-DISC SET FEATURES INCLUDE:

Video essays on all three films by critic and festival programmer James Quandt.
Four short films by Hiroshi Teshigahara: Hokusai (1953), Ikebana (1956), Tokyo 1958 (1958), and Ako/White Morning (1963).
A new documentary about the working relationship beween Teshigahara and Kobo Abe, including interviews with Japanese-film scholars Donald Richie and Tadao Sato.
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by James Quandt, Howard Hampton, Audie Bock, and Peter Grilli and Max Tessiers 1964 interview with Teshigahara.

IVAN'S CHILDHOOD

Special Features

Video appreciation of filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky and Ivans Childhood, featuring Vida T. Johnson, coauthor of The Films of Andrei Tarkovsky: A Visual Fugue.
New video interviews with cinematographer Vadim Yusov and actor Nikolai Burlyaev.
New and improved English subtitle translation.
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Dina Iordanova and new translations, by Robert Bird, of "Between Two Films," Andrei Tarkovskys essay about Ivans Childhood, and "Ivans Willow," a poem by the director's father, Arseny Tarkovsky.

ACE IN THE HOLE

Special Features

Audio commentary by film scholar Neil Sinyard.
Portrait of a "60% Perfect Man": Billy Wilder, a 1980 documentary featuring in-depth interviews with Wilder by film critic Michel Ciment.
Excerpts from a 1986 appearance by Wilder at the American Film Institute.
Excerpts from an audio interview with co-screenwriter Walter Newman.
PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film critic Molly Haskell and filmmaker Guy Maddin.

LES ENFANTS TERRIBLES

Special Features

Audio commentary by writer, film critic, and journalist Gilbert Adair.
Interviews with producer Carole Weisweiller, actors Nicole Stphane and Jacques eBrnard, and assistant director Claude Pinoteau.
Around Jean Cocteau (2003), a short video by filmmaker discussing Cocteau and Melville's working relationship.
PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Gary Indiana and an excerpt from Rui Nogueiras Melville on Melville.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:14 am

Ace in the Hole is by far the pick of the litter there.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:35 am

Despite already owning "Pitfall" in a superb edition (Eureka Moc) and the BFI release "Woman of/in the Dunes", the Hiroshi Teshigahara set certainly sounds appealing, the inclusion of the short films adds a lot of clout.

I will have to look into purchasing a few Criterion releases, especially with the current $/ exchange rate.

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:40 pm

"Ace in the Hole is by far the pick of the litter there."

I'm glad that Ace is finally being released. I have very good memories of this film in general and Douglas's performance in particular. Your review is worthy of it, wpqx.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:13 pm

"Despite already owning "Pitfall" in a superb edition (Eureka Moc) and the BFI release "Woman of/in the Dunes", the Hiroshi Teshigahara set certainly sounds appealing, the inclusion of the short films adds a lot of clout."

Pitfall is one I haven't yet seen, so I'm certainly looking foward to this set. It would've been great if this Japanese New Waver's sublime 1984 documentary, Antonio Gaud, was also included.
arsaib4

Postby A » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:41 pm

I also think the most interesting thing with this set are probably the short films.
But it's true that there are other Teshigahara films which need a release much more. Antonio Gaudi would have been a treat. Did you see it already arsaib?
A

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:00 am

I watched a new 35mm print of the film by Janus, which was part of the reason why I was a little surprised by its omission. But perhaps Criterion has others plans for it.
arsaib4

Postby A » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:05 am

Hopefully.
I would also be grateful for an Eclipse packaging with some of his other films
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:45 am

Yes, that'd be nice.

I haven't been able to get a hold of any of the Eclipse sets so far. The reviews have been good.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk