Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Criterion

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:04 am

Three Jarmusch films -- Stranger Than Paradise, Permanent Vacation and Night on Earth -- are coming in September.
arsaib4

Postby A » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:39 am

Ah, two of my favorites!
If Dead Man also gets the treatment It would be perfect.
That reminds me that the guys at our cinema have selected Stranger than Paradise to be screened for one week in early July without any of my help. And this will include an Open-Air screening on a big canvas. I know where I'll be spending my evenings (and dragging my friends to)
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:41 am

As excited as we are about this, wpqx's point that Criterion needs to focus on certain unavailable/OOP films still applies.

I absolutely love Stranger Than Paradise; it's hard to believe that this gem won the Camera d'Or all the way back in 1984!
arsaib4

Postby A » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:18 am

I agree. I don't applaud their policy but I'm glad these films will be out in good editions. But if I had to choose I'd say an obscure film over Jarmusch any day!

I just found out again that Paradise wasn't photographed by Robby Mller, but by To DiCillio, something I had totally forgotten (too much Mller worshipping )

Yes, how time flies by. Last weekend I found an old book from 1985 in the projectionist's room at our cinema and borrowed it immediately. It covers period from mid 1984 till mid 1985 as to which films were theatrically released in Germany. The complete list is huge, but the authors concentrate mostly on the best and most controversial / interesting films (with a long and good review for each of those). I had completely forgotten what an exciting period for films this was.

To name but a few: "Class Relations" (Straub, Huillet), "The Moon in the Gutter" (Beineix), Paris, Texas (Wenders), Repo Man (Alex Cox), Stranger than Paradise (Jarmusch), "The Green Room" (Truffaut), The Killing Fields (Joffe), Greystoke (Hudson), L'autographe (Lilienthal), Brazil (Gilliam), Places in the Heart (Benton), "Element of Crime" (Trier), El sur (Erice), E la nave va (Fellini), Once upon a time in America (Leone), Witness (Weir), Heimat (Reitz), Les favoris de las lune (Iosseliani), Love Streams (Cassavetes), Je vous salue, Marie (Godard), 1984 (Radford), La femme publique (Zulawski), La Pirate (Doillon), A Passage to India (Lean), Rumble Fish (Coppola), The Terminator (Cameron), Body Double (Palma), Tunguska (Schlingensief), Under the Volcano (Huston), "The 4th Man" (Verhoeven), Les nuits de la pleine lune (Rohmer), Prenom: Carmen (Godard), The Company of Wolves (Jordan).
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:31 pm

SEPTEMBER

Stranger Than Paradise

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

Permanent Vacation (1980, 75 minutes), Jarmusch's first full-length feature, presented in a new, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised by the director
Kino '84: Jim Jarmusch: a 1984 German television program featuring interviews with cast and crew from Stranger Than Paradise and Permanent Vacation
Some Days in January, 1984, a behind-the-scenes Super-8 film by Tom Jarmusch
Location and on-set photos
U.S. and Japanese trailers
PLUS: A booklet featuring Jarmusch's 1984 "Some Notes on Stranger Than Paradise," Geoff Andrew and J. Hoberman on Stranger Than Paradise, and Luc Sante on Permanent Vacation

Night on Earth

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES

Audio commentary by director of photography Frederick Elmes and location sound mixer Drew Kunin
Q&A with Jarmusch, in which he responds to questions sent by fans
1992 Belgian television interview with Jarmusch
PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Paul Auster, Thom Andersen, Bernard Eisenschitz, Goffredo Fofi, and Peter von Bagh, as well as the lyrics to Tom Waits' original songs from the film

Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Special Features

Audio commentary featuring screenwriter Ib Melchior, actors Paul Mantee and Victor Lundin, production designer Al Nozaki, Oscar-winning special effects designer and Robinson Crusoe on Mars historian Robert Skotak, and excerpts from a 1979 audio interview with director Byron Haskin
Destination: Mars, a new video featurette by Michael Lennick detailing the science behind Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Excerpts from Melchior's original screenplay
New music video for Victor Lundin's song Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Stills gallery of behind-the-scenes photos, production designs, and promotional material
PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by filmmaker and space historian Michael Lennick, a Brief Yargorian Dictionary of Melchior's original alien dialect, and a list of facts about Mars included with his original screenplay

The Threepenny Opera

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

New, restored high-definition digital transfer (taken from a new film restoration element from the Bundesarchiv in Germany)
Audio commentary by scholars David Bathrick, author of The Dialectic and the Early Brecht, and Eric Rentschler, author of The Films of G. W. Pabst
L'opera de quat'sous, Pabst's French-language version of The Threepenny Opera, starring Albert Prjean and Florelle
A video interview with film scholar Charles O'Brien on the differences between the English and French versions
New exclusive documentary on Threepenny's controversial journey from stage to screen to lawsuits
Gallery of production photos by Hans Casparius
Production sketches by art director Andre Andrejew
PLUS: A new essay by film critic Tony Rayns

Martha Graham: Dance on Film

New, restored high-definition digital transfers of three films: A Dancer's World, Appalachian Spring, Night Journey
Martha Graham: The Dancer Revealed, an American Masters documentary following Graham's career
Side-by-side comparison, by dance critic Deborah Jowitt, of excerpts from a 1940s performance of Appalachian Spring, featuring Graham, Eric Hawkins, and Merce Cunningham, with the 1958 film
Aaron Copland: Art in America, a short documentary by Nathan Kroll, featuring composer Aaron Copland discussing Appalachian Spring with artist Paul Jenkins
A visual essay narrated by Kroll
New interview with Museum of Television and Radio curator Ron Simon discussing Kroll's work and legacy
Interviews with film editors Eleanor Hamerow and Miriam Arsham discussing their work on the three films
New interviews with Graham company dancers Mimi Cole, Mary Hinkson, Linda Hodes, Stuart Hodes, Yuriko Kikuchi, and Ethel Winter
Excerpts from The Martha Graham Technique, a 1975 filmed demonstration featuring company members and narrated by Graham
16mm home-movie footage of Graham's company from their 1954 European tour
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by writer Joan Acocella
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:43 pm

Some new stuff I'm pleased to see. I have not seen Permanent Vacation, and along with the Neil Young film I think its the only thing from Jarmusch I haven't seen. Of course better versions are a plus, and I am very happy to see more Pabst coming out on DVD, even if Threepenny is one of his weaker pictures. The point is Westfront 1918 can't be too far behind.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:22 am

October Criterions are Huston's Under the Volcano (1984), Godard's Breathless (1959), Van Sant's Mala Noche (1985) and Malick's Days of Heaven (1978). Just another ho-hum month, I guess. ;)
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:16 pm

Breathless is a yawn and a half. Its so incredibly readily available already. However if some of Godard's prior short films are included, then it might make it worthwhile. I've been putting off the Huston film for years now (I'm stuck on page 50 of the book) so that's good news. Also glad to get a chance to see Van Sant's first (I think) film.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:28 am

First feature, yes

I wouldn't try to defend that less-than-spectacular Fox Lorber edition of Breathless, especially when the opposition is Criterion.

New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director of photography Raoul Coutard

Archival interviews with director Jean-Luc Godard, and actors Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jean Seberg, and Jean-Pierre Melville

New video interviews with Coutard, assistant director Pierre Rissient, and filmmaker D. A. Pennebaker

New video essays: filmmaker and critic Mark Rappaport's "Jean Seberg" and critic Jonathan Rosenbaum's "Breathless as Film Criticism"

Chambre 12, Hotel de suede, an eighty-minute French documentary about the making of Breathless, with members of the cast and crew

Charlotte et son Jules, a 1959 short film by Godard, starring Belmondo

French theatrical trailer

New and improved English subtitle translation

PLUS: A booklet featuring writings from Godard, film historian Dudley Andrew, Francois Truffaut's original film treatment, and Godard's scenario
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:20 am

That sounds like an excellent package, vastly superior to the U.K. release.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk