Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Criterion

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:49 am

It does sound like a good set, no commentary though? However I just still have to feel a little irked when such a massively popular film gets the treatment. Oh well they did release Tout Va Bien before this, so I probably shouldn't complain.
wpqx

Postby A » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:28 am

I'm looking forward to this release, although I'm usually more content if Criterion releases an obscurer film. But they have to see that enough money keeps rolling in - one absolutely has to consider this!

The day when i hold this Criterion in my hands will be a happy one. My appreciation of the film has risen over the years (and rewatches), and I expect it will continue this way.
A

Postby hengcs » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:55 am

Hi,
did anyone of you buy Jacque Tati's Playtime?

I wanted to purchase ... but later I realize that ...
(i) it is only 124 min (more than the orig US 119 min; but less than the orig French 155 min)
(ii) and I happen to read this article from the Hollywood Reporter ...
www.hollywoodreporter.com...?&rid=2224

Please advise ... worth or not worth buying?!
hengcs

Postby A » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:32 pm

Hmm, i don't know. The news as described in the article make for mixed reactions. So far I have only seen the "old" 119 minute version twice, and I consider it the best film by Tati (I haven't seen "Jour de Fete" or "Parade", though). The color scheme is essential to it (as noted: beautiful greys).

But I am actually going to see it on 70mm in October at an annual 70mm festival in Karlsruhe in Germany. At least that's the way it is announced, at a cinema which is equipped for proper 70mm screenings. Other films will include Wyler's Ben-Hur and Anthony Mann's El Cid.

I'll report back as to the length, aspect ratio and condition of the print (and if it is in fact 70 or 65 mm).

Maybe you should write an e-mail to Criterion and ask them to clarify the matter.
A

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:14 pm

It was theatrically released here awhile ago and I believe it was the full version, but I remember a little bit of debate about it, and I think that's the same version that's on DVD. A similar discrepancy came up during the release of The Leopard on DVD. The Criterion disc is apparently still not the full version. The only Tati I have on DVD is Monsieur Hulot's Holiday and I haven't even watched that transfer.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:21 am

One gem for November, and several films I could care less about.

The Lady Vanishes (1938)
#
SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
#
New, restored high-definition digital transfer
#
Audio commentary by film historian Bruce Eder
#
Crook's Tour, a 1941 feature-length Charters and Caldicott adventure, available for the first time on home video, with Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne reprising their beloved The Lady Vanishes roles
#
Excerpts from Francois Truffaut's legendary 1962 audio interview with Hitchcock
#
Mystery Train, a new video essay about Hitchcock and The Lady Vanishes by scholar Leonard Leff (Hitchcock and Selznick: The Rich and Strange Collaboration of Alfred Hitchcock and David O. Selznick in Hollywood) Stills gallery of behind-the-scenes photos and promotional art
#
PLUS: A new essays by critic Geoffrey O'Brien

Sawdust and Tinsel (1953)

#
Audio commentary by Bergman scholar Peter Cowie
#
Video introduction by Ingmar Bergman from 2003
#
New and improved English subtitle translation
#
PLUS: A new essay by critic John Simon and an appreciation by filmmaker Catherine Breillat

Drunken Angel (1948)

#
New audio commentary featuring Japanese-film scholar Donald Richie
#
A 30-minute documentary on the making of Drunken Angel
#
A new video piece that looks at the challenges Kurosawa faced in making Drunken Angel
#
PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by cultural historian Ian Buruma and a reprint from Kurosawa's Something Like an Autobiography

And thank the lord it's finally arrived . . .

Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980)

SPECIAL EDITION SEVEN-DISC SET FEATURES
#
New high-definition digital transfer, from the 2006 restoration by the Fassbinder Foundation and Bavaria Media, and supervised and approved by director of photography Xaver Schwarzenberger
#
Two new documentaries by Fassbinder Foundation president Juliane Lorenz: one featuring interviews with the cast and crew, the other on the restoration
#
Hans Dieter Hartl's 1980 documentary The Making of "Berlin Alexanderplatz"
#
Phil Jutzi's 1931, ninety-minute film of Alfred Doblin's novel, from a screenplay cowritten by Doblin himself
#
New video interview with Peter Jelavich, author of Berlin Alexanderplatz: Radio, Film, and the Death of Weimar Culture
#
New and improved English subtitle translation
#
PLUS: An essay by filmmaker Tom Tykwer, reflections from Fassbinder, an interview with Schwarzenberger, and German author Thomas Steinfeld on the novel
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:02 am

I guess you already know which one I want the most. Should be pretty expensive, though.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:06 am

I think that goes for all of us, I believe the retail price was 170 but I may be mistaken. Hell I purchased the Shoah DVD, and let me tell you that sure as hell wasn't cheap.

The other releases are a bit of a let down. The Lady Vanishes DVD had a commentary track and a great transfer, plus I happen to think its Hitchcock's worst film (of the 33 I've seen). Enjoyed Drunken Angel but could care less about it being released on DVD. Sawdust and Tinsel I saw a few years ago and wasn't too impressed. As far as a future Bergman release I'm praying for a complete version of Face to Face.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:20 am

I feel the same way about Drunken Angel. Need to see the Bergman again for a proper evaluation. Have managed to avoid The Lady Vanishes so far.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:05 am

You shouldn't necessarily take my word for it, everyone that's not me seems to think its one of his best, or at the very least one of his best British films, it just did nothing for me. I've been meaning to re-watch it, but I still have the original Criterion DVD of sitting at home, and nazi's are going to have to start marching down State Street before I consider re-buying this.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk