Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Criterion

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:21 am

DECEMBER

Two-Lane Blacktop

DIRECTOR-APPROVED DOUBLE-DISC SET

New, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised and approved by director Monte Hellman
Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack
Two audio commentaries; one by Hellman and filmmaker Allison Anders, and one by screenwriter Rudy Wurlitzer and author David Meyer
Interviews with Hellman, musician Kris Kristofferson, producer Michael Laughlin, and production manager Walter Coblenz
Rare, never-before-seen screen-test outtakes
Performance and Image: a look at the restoration of a '55 Chevy from the movie
Color Me Gone: photos and publicity from Two-Lane Blacktop
Original theatrical trailer
PLUS: Rudy Wurlitzer's screenplay, reprinted specially for this release; new essays by Kent Jones, appreciations by Richard Linklater and Tom Waits; and a reprint of the 1970 Rolling Stone article "On Route 66, Filming Two-Lane Blacktop."

Ingmar Bergman: Four Masterworks

4-DISC COLLECTOR'S SET

The Seventh Seal
Smiles of a Summer Night
The Virgin Spring
Wild Strawberries
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:53 pm

You know I think some of the Bergman tributes going around now are a little lazy. His already over publicized work is just getting revamped and repackaged. I'm still dying for a DVD of Face to Face.
wpqx

Postby R6dw6C » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:00 pm

So do I. After I read some reviews a few weeks ago, I spent hours of torturing search in the web just to find out that there are only bootlegs in existence. Hopefully, there will be no "nice price"-DVD, ripped from a VHS, now that everybody tries to make the most out of his death.
R6dw6C

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:51 am

You have a point, wpqx, but I think Criterion deserves the benefit of the doubt here considering what it has accomplished for Bergman fans all over the globe.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Agreed, I'm particularly fond of the DVD's for Scenes From a Marriage and Fanny and Alexander, and considering Face to Face was another long mini-series condensed to a movie I was hoping a similar release would be around for that. Part of my complaining isn't really directed at Criterion. The Siskel Center is showing some of his films and they are basically all the films of his that always get shown and the only one remotely obscure (although not very at that) is The Devil's Eye.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:27 am

Looks like The Devil's Eye is playing on the 27th and the 30th. CIFF is also underway at the Music Box, etc.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:31 pm

Yeah HHH's new film was sold out, and because I left my jacket with car and house keys in it at work, I was unable to catch The Man From London or the restored My Brother's Wedding. So in other words I'm a horrible failure at catching movies this year as well as every other year.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:30 am

I guess only one public screening was scheduled for the Hou. That's too bad because you would've liked Flight of the Red Balloon. But you'll get to see it eventually since the film has picked up a U.S. distributor. What impressed me the most about The Man from London was the work of DP Fred Keleman. As for Burnett, a retro might soon be headed your way. Tomorrow's schedule includes The Banishment (Zvyagintsev's followup to The Return), Silent Light (which is said to be a return to form for Reygadas), and Beaufort (an acclaimed Israeli war drama).
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:42 pm

Some new, some good.

4 by Agns Varda:

Le bonheur
Agns Varda, 1965
# New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Agns Varda
# - Actor Jean-Claude Drouot revisits the film's setting forty years later
# - A 2006 interview with actors Claire Drouot and Marie-France Boyer
# - A 2006 discussion with four scholars and intellectuals discussing the concept of happiness and its relation to the film
# - Archival footage of Varda shooting Le bonheur
# - 1998 interview with Varda, discussing Le bonheur
# - Du Ct de la cte (195 , a short film directed by Varda exploring the tourist destination of the Cte D'Azur
# - Theatrical trailer
# - New and improved English subtitle translation
Clo from 5 to 7
Agns Varda, 1962
* - New, restored digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Agns Varda
* - Remembrances: a 2005 documentary on the making of the film, featuring interviews with Varda, Corinne Marchand, and Antoine Bourseiller
* - Excerpt from a 1993 French television program featuring Madonna and Varda talking about Clo
* - Clo's Real Path Through Paris, a short film from 2005 in which Varda retraces Clo's steps through Paris, on a motorcycle
* - Les Fiancs du Pont Macdonald (1961), a short film directed by Varda, featuring Jean-Luc Godard and Anna Karina, and Varda explaining why this film was featured as the film within the film Lopra Mouffe (195 , an early short by Varda, with a score by Georges Delerue New and improved English subtitle translation
* - PLUS: A new essay by Adrian Martin and a written introduction by Agns Varda

La Pointe Courte
Agns Varda, 1956
Special Features

* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Agnes Varda
* - New video interview with Varda
* - Archival 1964 television episode from Cinastes de notre temps, in which Varda discusses her early career
* - Theatrical trailer
* - New and improved English subtitle translation

Vagabond
Agns Varda, 1985
Special Features

* - New restored digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Agnes Varda
* - Remembrances: a 2003 documentary on the making of the film, including interviews with Sandrine Bonnaire and other cast members
* - The Story of an Old Lady: Varda's 2003 short film revisiting actress Marthe Jarnias, who plays the old aunt in the film
* - A 2003 interview with Varda and composer Joanna Bruzdowicz
* - A 1986 radio interview with writer Nathalie Sarraute, who inspired the film
* - Theatrical trailer
* - PLUS: A new essay by Chris Darke and written introduction by Agnes Varda

This Sporting Life
Lindsay Anderson 1963
Special Features

* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* - Audio commentary featuring Paul Ryan, editor of Never Apologise: The Collected Writings of Lindsay Anderson, and David Storey, screenwriter and author of This Sporting Life
* - Theatrical trailer
* - Lindsay Anderson: Lucky Man? (2004, 30 min), a documentary from BBC Scotland featuring interviews with many of the director's close friends and collaborators
* - New video interview with Lois Sutcliffe Smith, Anderson's close friend and president of the Lindsay Anderson Memorial Foundation
* - Meet the Pioneers (194 , Lindsay Anderson's first documentary short
* - Wakefield Express (1952), Anderson's short-film contribution to England's Free Cinema series, shot in the same town that served as the location for This Sporting Life
* - Is That All There Is? (1992, 50 min), Anderson's autobiographical, final film
* - PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film scholar Neil Sinyard and writings by Anderson

Miss Julie
Alf Sjberg 1951
Special Features

* - New video essay by film historian Peter Cowie
* - Archival television interview with director Alf Sjberg
* - 2006 television documentary about the play Miss Julie and dramatist August Strindberg
* - Theatrical trailer
* - PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film scholars Peter Matthews and Birgitta Steene

The Naked Prey
Cornel Wilde 1966
Special Features

* - Audio commentary by film scholar Stephen Prince
* - "John Colters Escape," a 1913 written record of the trapper's flight from Blackfoot Indianswhich was the inspiration for The Naked Preyread by actor Paul Giamatti
* - Original soundtrack cues created by director Cornel Wilde and ethnomusicologist Andrew Tracey, along with a written statement by Tracey on the score
* - Theatrical trailer
* - PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Michael Atkinson and a 1970 interview with Wilde
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:29 am

Clever title!

What do you make of Cornel Wilde?
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk