Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Criterion

Postby wpqx » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:22 pm

I had no idea he ever directed a movie, but am familiar with him from his days as a contract player for Fox I believe. Curious to see this, sounds like an interesting exercise in self indulgence. Sucks that my Cleo from 5 to 7 DVD shall no be obsolete, but truth told it was an extremely bare bones release.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:04 am

Wilde directed 8 films, most of them featuring his then wife, Jean Wallace. The Naked Prey is said to be his key effort. We'll see.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:48 am

Besides Pierrot le fou, which was brought up in the JLG thread, the other Criterion releases for February are The Last Emperor and Walker.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:57 am

Mafioso
Alberto Lattuada, 1962

Antonio Gaud
Hiroshi Teshigahara, 1984

The Ice Storm
Ang Lee, 1997

I'm glad that in at least SOMETHING from Lattuada is finally available as a solo director. I just wish it was one of his earlier pre-Variety Lights films. The Siskel Center has been showing Teshigahara's film annually. But although already available in a crappy release, I'm actually a little excited about The Ice Storm, a film I've put off watching for years, and looks like my patience might pay off.
wpqx

Postby A » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:20 am

Sounds like three great releases to me.
I still need to get my hands on the remastered Days of heaven, though.
A

Postby wpqx » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:18 am

I'll be honest it's been awhile since I really got excited about a Criterion collection release. Now that Lubitsch Eclipse series is a completely different story.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:01 am

I missed Mafioso's theatrical run so I'm glad it's coming out on DVD. I need to catch up with Lattuada in general. Also pleased about the Teshigahara even though I truly savored the experience of viewing its newly restored 35mm print.
arsaib4

Postby A » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:34 am

Good news. Criterion are doing well, as usual, and have officially announced two titles for April '08:

Death of a Cyclist (Juan Antonio Bardem, 1955)

Blast of Silence (Allen Baron, 1961)

DVDBeaver reviewed the German edition of the latter here .
A

Postby wpqx » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:45 am

I'm a little surprised at these two announcements primarily because I'm not familiar with either picture. Still this is very welcome after a series of re-releases.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:48 am

So, A, have you seen Blast of Silence?
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk