Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Criterion

Postby wpqx » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:31 am

Image doesn't have a great reputation for special features either.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:26 am

And it has ruined Home Vision ever since that distributor came under its wing.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:25 pm

Very true. However Image did release Les Vampires which makes them the only US distributor to put out any Feiullade so they deserve some credit at least for that.
wpqx

Postby R6dw6C » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:36 pm

Didn't they also release many films by Jean Rollin, Mario Bava, some rare Czech, Italian and German films, many silents for the first time as well as some underrepresented american Independent-Films for example? They deserve even more credit for that, I think - though it's always risky to buy one of their DVDs - everything's possible, from the best to the worst.
R6dw6C

Postby wpqx » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:44 pm

They have put out a few Rollin films, our complaint is in the lack of special features and the destructive job they did on Home Vision. That's not saying they haven't put out a few decent titles.
wpqx

Postby A » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:29 pm

Yes, I have some Image titles at home, and the quality varies. But they have cretainly released a lot of worthwhile stuff that hasn't been picked up by anyone else.
A

Postby wpqx » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:49 pm

The Lovers (1958)
The Fire Within (1963)
The Thief of Baghdad (1940)
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:03 am

Seems like someone at Criterion Co. is a big Louis Malle fan. How 'bout some Rivette for a change?! That said, the two listed are pretty terrific films.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:40 pm

Now that I've finally seen The Silent World, I was secretly hoping some of Malle's more offbeat films would make there way out, I'm not sure if Thief of Paris is available. New Yorker owns the rights to most of Rivette's films (L'Amour Fou and Out 1 both had New Yorker Release titles when I saw them theatrically) so good luck waiting for them to do something.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:34 pm

Criterion has purchased the rights of numerous New Yorker titles in the past, so that's not a big issue. Out 1s are perhaps wishful thinking at this point but L'Amour fou would be nice. Once upon a time New Yorker was scheduled to release Celine and Julie and Paris nous appartient.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk