Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Criterion

Postby wpqx » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:00 pm

I really don't know what they're doing with their DVD collection. At least Moolaade FINALLY came out. They still seem relatively busy with their theatrical distribution, but something seems horribly amiss in their DVD division.

They currently have nothing listed for upcoming releases, which makes me give up hope on Moses and Aaron, and I believe they were going to release Lucia as well.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:01 am

JUNE

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

Patriotism

Classe tous risques

The Furies

Before the Rain
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:52 am

I saw the releases a few days ago, I wonder what gives with the upcoming Eclipse Series(s). Mr. Freedom is playing at the Siskel Center this month (or already did play) and I'm curious but will most likely wait until DVD. Of the aforementioned I'm most excited for Mishima especially after Roy Scheider's recent passing.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:23 am

Of the aforementioned films, I haven't seen the Schrader and the Masaki/Mishima, so those two interest me the most.
arsaib4

Postby A » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Again a nice list of releases. Somebody give me time and money!!!

PS: I need to see more with Mishima, such an interesting figure. Has anybody read any of his books, and has some comments on it?
A

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:46 am

JULY

Mon oncle Antoine

Vampyr

Trafic

High and Low
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:51 am

Please tell me that Traffic is the Tati film.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:26 pm

Product details:

Traffic (1971) - Jacques Tati
# SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
# - New, restored high-definition digital transfer
# - In the Footsteps of Monsieur Hulot (1969), a two-hour documentary tracing the evolution of Jacques Tati's beloved alter ego
# - Interview from 1971 with the cast of Trafic, from the French television program Le journal de cinéma
# - "The Comedy of Jacques Tati," a 1973 episode from the French television program Morceaux de bravoure
# - Theatrical trailer
# - New and improved English subtitle translation
# - PLUS: A new essay by film critic Jonathan Romney

Mon Oncle Antoine (1971) - Claude Jutra
* - SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director of photography Michel Brault
* - On-Screen: "Mon oncle Antoine," a 2007 documentary tracing the making and history of the film
* - Claude Jutra, an Unfinished Story, a 2002 documentary that attempts to unravel "the Jutra mystery," featuring interviews with Brault, Bernardo Bertolucci, actors Geneviève Bujold and Saul Rubinek. and actor-director Paule Baillargeon
* - A Chairy Tale, a 1957 experimental short codirected by Jutra and Norman McLaren
* - Theatrical trailer
* - Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
* - New and improved English subtitle translation
* - PLUS: A new essay by film scholar André Loiselle

High and Low (1963) - Akira Kurosawa
* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with newly restored original four-track surround sound
* - New audio commentary by Akira Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince
* - A 37-minute documentary on the making of High and Low, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create
* - Rare archival interview with Toshiro Mifune
* - New video interview with actor Tsutomu Yamazaki, who plays the kidnapper
* - Theatrical trailers from Japan and the U.S.
* - PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Geoffrey O'Brien and a reprinted essay by Japanese film scholar Donald Richie
* - More!

Vampyr (1932) - Carl Theodor Dreyer

* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer of the 1998 film restoration by Martin Koerber and the Cineteca di Bologna
* - Optional all-new English-text version of the film
* - Audio commentary featuring film scholar Tony Rayns
* - Carl Th. Dreyer (1966), a documentary by Jörgen Roos chronicling Dreyer's career
* - Visual essay by scholar Casper Tybjerg on Dreyer's influences in creating Vampyr
* - A 1958 radio broadcast of Dreyer reading an essay about filmmaking
* - PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by Mark Le Fanu and Kim Newman, Martin Koerber on the restoration, and an archival interview with producer and star Nicolas de Gunzburg, as well as a book featuring Dreyer and Christen Jul's original screenplay and Sheridan Le Fanu 1871 story "Carmilla," a source for the film

So I have plenty of reason to rejoice for the Tati, I missed the film last quarter, so it remains the only Tati feature I haven't seen.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:58 pm

Criterion has gone with the French title, so it's Trafic.

I've seen all four of these, but it's nice to know that extras-laden versions of High and Low and Vampyr will soon become available here. Incidentally, Eureka/MoC are also planning to put out the Dreyer film shortly.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:01 pm

The seemingly neverending Kurosawa re-releases are getting a little frustrating, makes me wish they would have just done it right the first time. I did enjoy High and Low, but haven't seen it since 2001, so its not too fresh in my head.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk