Criterion

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Criterion

Postby arsaib4 » Mon May 12, 2008 3:38 am

The Third Man
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
The Complete Monterey Pop
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:36 am

Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom

Twenty-four Eyes

Brand upon the Brain!

The Small Back Room
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri May 16, 2008 5:55 pm

Excellent releases all around. Perhaps now the market on the bootleg Salo will finally stop. Although if we learned anything from it's original release, pick it up immediately. The special features are ample (the last was just film only). Surprised to see Guy Maddin's film getting the Criterion treatment, but can't complain at least it's finally coming on DVD. New Powell and Pressburger is always welcome and Criterion has done a fabulous job with their previous P and P releases.

We've talked about Twenty-four Eyes elsewhere on the site and my thoughts haven't changed much.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:55 am

And neither have mine.

As for the rest, I agree.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:09 pm

An Autumn Afternoon

La ronde

Le plaisir

The Earrings of Madame de ...
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:44 pm

Glad to hear about the Ophuls which are apparently going to be part of a boxed set. As far as special features I'm not too sure, but I know that the Ozu film will have a commentary by David Bordwell.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:05 am

The standalone Second Sight (U.K.) DVDs of a couple of the aforementioned Ophüls films were available for a while for very good prices. Needless to say, however, that Criterion's editions will be an improvement in most facets (I believe they are being issued individually at this point).

Yep, a Bordwell commentary track on the Ozu. I was also glad to hear that.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:34 am

Le doulos

Le deuxième souffle

Missing
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:42 am

Ah too funny, I just watched a bootleg of Second Breath, oh well excellent film for what it's worth, my timing is excellent. Any details up yet?
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:05 pm

It does seem like distributors around the globe wait for you to watch a certain film on some third-generation mono VHS or DVD-R before announcing its snazzy DVD edition loaded with extras. If that's the case, then hell you better start watching those Rocha tapes on a queue so we can get some movement going in that direction.

Special Features (Second Breath / Le deuxième souffle )

* - New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* - Audio commentary by film scholar Ginette Vincendeau, author of Jean-Pierre Melville: An American in Paris, and film critic Geoff Andrew of the British Film Institute
* - New video interview with director Bertrand Tavernier, who served as publicity agent on the film
* - Archival footage featuring interviews with Melville and Lino Ventura
* - Original theatrical trailer
* - New and improved subtitle translation
* - PLUS: A new essay by film critic Adrian Danks
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk