Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:15 am

Thanks to my good friend, Trevor, I just received Sohrab Shahid Saless' Still Life and Hana Makhmalbaf's Joy of Madness.

Now waiting for early Bela Tarr and Theo Angelopoulos.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:17 pm

My pleasure, hope you enjoy them especially Still Life.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:37 am

Morris and Suzuki today

Story of a Prostitute and Gate of Flesh from Suzuki

and

Gates of Heaven, Vernon Florida, The Thin Blue Line, and Errol Morris' First Person
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:04 am

Atom Egoyan's THE ADJUSTER

Ousmane Sembene's MANDABI
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:56 pm

It's been a while since I saw The Adjuster, have you seen it before or was it a chance purchase?

Not bad sales around at the moment, picked up Uzak for half price and had some great deals on a few Iranian films that I only had on video previously.

Apart from that, I'm waiting for The Wayward Cloud and Distance to come from the US.

Oh yes, I got hold of WKW's Ashes of Time as well.

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:27 pm

I have seen The Adjuster on numerous occasions, still didn't own it on vhs/dvd. Ordered the superior PAL version which was just released in the U.K.

So, you haven't seen Distance?
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:57 pm

Just received Wayward Cloud and Distance, just checked they're working and I'm looking forward to seeing them. I haven't seen Distance and have tried not to read anything about it but if it's anywhere near as good as After Life, Maborosi or Nobody Knows then it'll be a very worthwhile addition to my collection.

Also just rented Barefoot Gen 1 & 2, an anime from the early 80's which I hadn't even heard of until a week or two ago. The character style looks fairly simplistic but the storyline is supposed to be exceptional. I'll let you know what I think of them all.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:43 am

I've now seen Barefoot Gen 1 & 2 and will write my comments as soon as possible in the JJ Anime thread, being as the subject was the atom bomb at Hiroshima it wasn't comfortable viewing.

Picked up the 2 disc versions of JSA and A Tale of Two Sisters for 5.00 each, I did have a copy of JSA on video and a single import disc of ATOTT but the DVD's were cheap and you do get a better picture quality with PAL compared to NTSC. I also picked up a film on DVD again for 5.00 that I thought I would never attemp to watch again, A Hole in my Heart.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:04 pm

Bought today:
The Hours (Stephen Daldry)
Human Nature (Michel Gondry)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind (Michel Gondry)
Harvard Man (James Toback)
Demonlover (Olivier Assayas)
Elephant (Gus Van Ant / Alan Clarke)
A

Postby wpqx » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:10 pm

Well re-acquired Fellini's Casanova and Bertolucci's Luna.

In addition picked up U-Bahn, Kristobell, Scorpio Rising, L'Imitation du Cinema, and Fireworks from Keneth Anger.

The pick of the litter is the letterboxed, subtitled Conformist, but that was a burn from the Laserdisc, so not an offcial release yet.

From Takashi Miike
Happiness of the Katakuris
Izo
Ley Lines
Three Extremes

Then the rest
Dolls - Kitano
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Columbus
Unknown Pleasures - Zhang-Ke
House of Flying Daggers - Yimou
and the Sopranos Season 4
wpqx