Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:00 pm

arsaib4, I've seen very little of Chris Marker's work and was wondering what Chats perchs was, had you seen it before or was it a blind buy?

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:41 am

I finally got my copy of Diary of Shinjuku Thief, I'll report on the quality later. Also picked up easy, legitimate faire like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Elia Kazan's Pinky.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:34 am

Sorry for the delay, Trev -- just haven't had much time to be online lately. Chats perchs is the latest political address by Marker who continues to employ innovative techniques (although, oblique to some) to get his point across. His astonishing oeuvre continues to propagate onto various other media -- basically, it's very hard to keep track of (much more than his counterparts Peter Watkins and Fernando Solanas). Chats perchs doesn't have subs even though Marker uses intertitles instead of a commentary. It comes with a booklet and other paraphernalia. I think his two famous works Sans Soliel and La Jetee are available in the U.K.

I initially read about it in Film Comment: it was reviewed by British critic Chris Darke (too bad it's not available online). So, I guess it was a blind buy to some degree, but that's not a problem when the work in question belongs to Marker.
arsaib4

Postby madhuban » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:36 am

hi arsaib,

Was wondering if you have any information on the two-disc DVD set put out by Arte, France featuring Marker's "The Last Bolshevik" and Medvedkin's "Happiness"? Jonathan Rosenbaum says the discs have English subtitles, but I've been searching like crazy to buy it from someplace, and haven't got anywhere.

M
madhuban

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:09 am

Hey Madhuban,

I can confirm that it does indeed feature English subs, and so does its extras (I own it ),

amazon.fr is the best option because it offers help in English and shipping will be cheaper compared to other retailers.

The set is also available at alapage for about the same price.

Since I've been quite busy lately I didn't get the chance to look for a better price at other retailers, so sorry about that. Please let me know if you need to know any more info.
arsaib4

Postby madhuban » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:05 pm

Thanks a ton for the links arsaib! Might have to wait a bit to order since amazon's cheaper shipping will also burn a hole in my pockets

M
madhuban

Postby wpqx » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:41 pm

Virgin Spring, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Pink Floyd's The Wall, and A Shot in the Dark. Of the bunch I've only seen Virgin Spring and The Wall. The Wall in fact I've seen about a dozen times and it's one of my all time favorite movies, and the album likewise has a very high place in my personal ranking. As for the special featrures I can't vouch for them, and can't tell what is different from the previous DVD except for the packaging. I'm going to try and pick up Peckinpah's collection soon, which I was weary of at first, but the DVD's seem loaded, and two of the films I've never seen, and Christ in heaven knows that the original Wild Bunch DVD needs improvement. Then again most people here seem rather unfamiliar with Peckinpah, so I don't get too many reminders about his work.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:15 pm

A few purchases yesterday

She Hate Me (I have an open mind despite how horribly it was reviewed)
Broken Wings
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter . . . and Spring
Cinderella Man
Hustle and Flow
We Don't Live Here Anymore
Flower of Evil

Hell I know I got something else, but whatever.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:50 am

Lady and the Tramp, which as far as I know I've never seen.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:24 pm

Well for anyone with access to a Suncoast, now is the time to stock up, everything was 50% off, and although there dvd's are remarkably overpriced, with the sale they come out alright. Here's what I picked up today.

Rhapsody in August
Full Moon in Paris
La Collectionneuse
One From the Heart (Coppola in all his self indulgent glory)
Almost Famous (The good director's cut)
The Gary Cooper Collection - Design for Living, Peter ibbetson, The General Died at Dawn, Beau Geste, The Lives of a Bengal Lancer
Lone Star
The Rainmaker
Ararat
Burn!
Detective Story
In Old Chicago
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk