Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby wpqx » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:18 pm

America, @#%$ YEAH

Anyways at long last I have my order, and hold on its a big one. For starters I got two DVD's pre-order in the mail today which are . . .

House of Strangers (Mankiewicz)
I Wake Up Screaming (Humberstone)
The Second Circle (Sokurov)
Mother and Son (Sokurov)
Father and Son (Sokurov)
Timecode (Figgis)
Damnation (Tarr)
The Children Are Watching Us (De Seca)
Applause (Mamoulian)
Scarlet Street (Lang)
The Holy Girl (Martel)
The Robert Altman Collection: MASH, A Perfect Couple, A Wedding, Quintet
The Chess Players (Ray)
Wreckmeister Harmonies (Tarr)
Love Me Tonight (Mamoulian)
A Zed and Two Noughts (Greenaway)
Marlene Dietrich The Glamour Collection: Morocco, Blonde Venus, The Devil is a Woman (Sternberg), The Flame of New Orleans (Clair), Golden Earrings (Liesen)
House By the River (Lang)
Street of No Return (Fuller)
More Treasures From the American Film Archives 1894-1931
Junior Bonner (Peckinpah)
Julien Donkey-Boy (Korine)
Cafe Lumiere (Hsiao-Hsien)
Partner (Bertolucci)
New York Stories (Allen, Coppola, Scorsese)
Lessons of Darkness and Fata Morgana (Herzog)
Love and Anger (Bellochio, Bertolucci, Pasolini, Lizzani, Godard)
Late Spring (Ozu) with Tokyo-Ga (Wenders)
Notre Musique (Godard)
Traffic (Soderbergh)
Cross of Iron (Peckinpah)
Crazed Fruit (Nakahira)
Good Morning Night (Bellochio)
Fists in the Pocket (Bellochio)
The Osterman Weekend (Peckinpah)
Major Dundee (Peckinpah)
Experimental Cinema of the 1920's and '30's
Greenaway The early Films
Essential Steve McQueen Collection: Bullitt (Yates), The Getaway (Peckinpah), The Cincinnati Kid (Jewison), Never So Few (Sturges), Papillon (Schaffner), Tom Horn (Wiard)
and of course
Goodbye, Dragon Inn (Ming-Liang)

I'm gonna be busy, and this won't help my insomnia.

Postby wpqx » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:50 am

As if that wasn't enough I got my copies of A Nos Amours and Decision Before Dawn today.

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:03 am

If you can't handle 'em all, then feel free to send a few our way.

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:23 am

While I certainly can't compete with wpqx's shopping cart, here are a couple more:

Renoir's Toni

Cinema 16: American Shorts

Postby A » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:45 pm

As I've finally decided to work and got me a job for the next two months, I bought a loooot of DVD's while expecting the money to come rolling in.
All were bargains, some of them priced as low as 3 Euros, and the good thing is that I haven't even seen most of them, yet. But again, I only bought what is accessible to me for low costs, and it's a strange mix, where curiosity usually won out. Anway I wanted to see some of the films for quite a while, and If I can have them for under 5 Euros (and re-sell on the net if I don't like them), why spend the money for renting them in the first place?

A.K. (Chris Marker / France, Japan / 1985)
Adaptation. (Spike Jonze / USA / 2002)
All the Queen's Men (Stefan Ruzowitzky / Germany, Austria, Hungary, USA / 2001)
Araburu tamashii-tachi Agitator (Takashi Miike / Japan / 2001)
B. Monkey (Michael Radford / UK, Italy, USA / 1998 )
Batman (Tim Burton / USA / 1989)
Batman Returns (Tim Burton / USA / 1992)
Before Night Falls (Julian Schnabel / USA / 2000)
Collateral (Michael Mann / USA / 2004)
Da zui xia "Come Drink with Me" (King Hu / Hong Kong / 1966)
Dead Man (Jim Jarmusch / USA / 1995)
Dead or Alive 2: Tbsha Dead or Alive 2: Birds (Takashi Miike / Japan / 2000)
Electric Dragon 80.000 V (Sogo Ishii / Japan / 2001)
eXistenZ (David Cronenberg / Canada, USA / 1999)
Full Metal Jacket (Stanley Kubrick / USA / 1987)
Hyry-gai City of Lost Souls (Takashi Miike / Japan / 2000)
Jingi no hakaba Graveyard of Honor (Kinji Fukasaku / Japan / 1975)
Kuro no tenshi Vol. 1 The Black Angel (Takashi Ishii / Japan / 1997)
Marseille (Angela Schanelec / Germany / 2004)
Maverick (Richard Donner / USA / 1994)
Mean Streets (Martin Scorsese / USA / 1973)
Nichts Bereuen No Regrets (Benjamin Quabeck / Germany / 2000)
dishon Audition (Takashi Miike / Japan / 1999)
Posutoman burusu Postman Blues (Sabu / Japan / 1997)
Ran (Akira Kurosawa / Japan, France / 1985)
Rebel without a cause (Nicholas Ray / USA / 1955)
Samaria Samaritan Girl (Kim Ki-duk / South Korea / 2004)
Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki / Japan / 2001)
Shadow of the Vampire (E. Elias Merhige / UK, USA, Luuxembourg / 2000)
Shin jingi no hakaba Graveyard of Honor (Takashi Miike / Japan / 2002)
Swimming Pool (Francois Ozon / France / 2003)
Tetsuo (Shinya Tsukamoto / Japan / 1988 )
The Clearing (Pieter Jan Brugge / USA, Germany / 2004)
The Door in the Floor (Tod Williams / USA / 2004)
The English Patient (Anthony Minghella / UK, USA / 1996)
The Trouble with Harry (Alfred Hitchcock / USA / 1955)
Unbreakable (M. Night Shyamalan / USA / 2000)
Yokai Hanta - Hiruko Hiruko the Goblin (Shinya Tsukamoto / Japan / 1990)

and finally
Disney's Magic Treasures - The Silly Symphonies

In case you wonder, all are german DVDs.

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:07 pm

Good for you! Obviously, I'm interested in your German selections, especially Marseille, which I'm thinking about ordering myself.

Postby wpqx » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:20 pm

I'll admit my recent purchase was far less impressive than the last, I picked up Dave Chapelle's Block Party (Michel Gondry) yesterday. Don't know if I've bothered to mention this but I'm a huge fan of Chapelle's and have watched and re-watched his show very often. Also a chance to see a movie with a reunited Fugees and Black Star was hard to pass up, I just wish my friends hadn't been so indecisive about seeing it in the theater. I was all about going to the more animated theater generally reserved for people of African decent. The theater is a ghetto, but the crowd is much more lively than at any other place, and in the case of this film, it really would have felt like a party. This is the same theater that has missing ceiling tiles, garbage bags over certain seats, and had a power outage when I went to see Rize a year ago. it also happens to be very close, and not surprisingly really cheap. But I think a few of my friends are a little scared of black people (at least large gatherings in a dark place), so I have to sit with it on DVD. As for your purchases A, nothing too surprising except for the fact that all those films were that damn cheap. Mean streets would be my favorite amongst the ones you got, and if that's one of the films you haven't seen, then you're in for a treat. When you do get to watch it, you should try and get some comments posted in my dormant Martin Scorsese thread.

Postby A » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:48 pm

Yes, I haven't seen Mean Streets, yet so it was a good deal purchasing it for 3 Euros. There is also some interesting bonus material on it. From the others I haven't seen most of the japanese titles, yet, and I'm most interested in "Black Angel" by Takashi Ishii, and Fukasaku's film.
But as I own them now, it will probably take some months until I watch any of them.
Films I own or tape from TV, I usually only watch if I can't get my hands on anything else. As this seldom happens (lots of libraries and videostores) you'll probably have to wait for my Mean Streets review. But I'll post one.
Same goes for the german DVD's, though I probably won't leave the german film thread untouched for too long a time.

As for info on Marseille, the german film magazine "Revolver" (one of the best and most unknown) has started their own DVD edition with films that for one reason or another didn't get released on this medium. Of course they will be releasing only personal favorites by the staff, and as long as enough people keep buying them. Their first effort was Marseille at the end of last year, while DVD no.2 (Le fils by the Dardenne Brothers) has come out this month. I hope the edition will be successful enough to have a long life, as I will probably be buying all of the titles. Maybe the next release will be of a film by Apichatpong Weerasethakul, as the people at the magazine are huge admirers.
To release the films, they have teamed up with a german videostore "Filmgalerie 451" that keeps releasing obscure german and international films infrequently for the past ten years in cinema and on home video. They have relesed some great german films like "Goff in the desert" by Heinz Emigholz, or Bungalow by Ulrich Khler.
The webpage where you can get their stuff is written in german, and I have no idea how it is with international shipment. But maybe you can get most of the films through other internet stores.

Postby trevor826 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:14 pm

Everything is Illuminated,
Birth (due to arsaib4's praise)
and Ae Fond Kiss (for my wife).

All in a 3 for 10.00 deal.

Cheers Trev.

Postby trevor826 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:18 pm

Nice bundle of dvd's A, can't wait to hear your opinion on the ones you haven't seen before. I'm certainly interested in what you think of what I consider to be Tsukamoto's turkey, Hiruko the Goblin.

How was the Cinema 16 dvd in comparison to the British and European volumes arsaib4?

Cheers Trev.

Return to Film Talk