Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby trevor826 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:38 am

Do You Remember Dolly Bell? (1981) Emir Kusturica
Black Cat, White Cat (1998) Emir Kusturica

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:26 pm

I saw a region 2 DVD of Black Cat, White Cat, but as far as I know its still unavailable in the US. I consider that along with Dolly Bell somewhat second tier Kusturica. Come to think of it, I don't even think Time of the Gypsies is on DVD yet.

Every comic convention I go to, always has someone selling bootleg dvd's, and invariably someone has a copy of Song of the South, although they've started to crack down a little on it in recent years, luckily I got mine before they cared. Definitely not holding my breath waiting for an "official" release. So this is actually better for me, because now I have the film for my collection, and I also don't give Disney any of my money, so win/win.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:56 pm

Both Kusturika films were released by Artificial Eye and I was able to purchase them at a very reasonable price, hopefully there will be more to follow soon.

It is a shame the way Disney have gone especially in recent years, all they're interested in now is the marketing angle, the quality disappeared a long time ago. Let's face it, where would they be without Pixar.

More video and import replacements:

Yojimbo
Throne of Blood
The Hidden Fortress, all Kurosawa and all BFI releases.

Haibane Renmei, interesting and very different (from the norm) anime series distributed in the UK by MVM.

Barefoot Gen 1 & 2, Optimum Releasing

Tokyo Twilight
Equinox Flower
Ohayo (Good morning) Ozu releases from Tartan Video

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:48 pm

Ozu is still in bad shape here, and last I checked Barefoot Gen was also OOP.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:33 am

All the Ozu films that Tartan have released have been through the restoration process and have been treated very respectfully, hopefully they'll get a US release soon.

As for Barefoot Gen, I'm surprised it's unavailable but maybe it's not seen as financially viable.

Replaced my copies of

Ikiru and Sanjuro - Kurosawa
and have just got hold of Clouzot's Le Corbeau.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:30 pm

Faithless, written by Ingmar Bergman, directed by Liv Ulmann.
More Ozu & Kurosawa including The Bad Sleep Well and Drunken Angel.

Also picked up the BFI release of Godzilla for 10.00 when most shops are selling it for 20.00+.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:45 am

Two new and two replacements:

36 Quai des Orfvres (Tartan)
Triple Agent (Artificial Eye)
Blind Chance (Artificial Eye)
The Emperor and the Assassin (Columbia Tristar)

Cheers Trev.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby hengcs » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:50 am

I like 36 Quai des Orfvres (Tartan)
who else have watched it?
hengcs

Postby trevor826 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:58 pm

Re: 36 Quai des Orfvres, I've seen half of it so far, a hectic family life doesn't really accomodate my selfish needs but so far, so good.

I'll let you know when I've finished it.

Cheers Trev.

More aquisitions:

Yet more replacement Ozu dvds, the last for now.
Man Without a Past
Atomised (though apparently it's just a mediocre translation of an outstanding novel)
and one I'm sure arsaib4 wrote about a while back, "Free Cinema", a collection of British documentaries and documentary style films from the 1950's. I'm sure I'll find a good few bits and pieces to write about from this collection.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:42 am

Despite my criticisms I've bought "Les Amants Reguliers". Why? because I feel I may have missed something and it deserves a second chance. Also it's unavailable for rental anywhere and even if it was the price would be around 3.75 GBP. which brings me to the most important reason, I paid 6.00 GBP for it brand new through a local small retailer who I've known for many years.

I also bought "Noce Blanche" which I'd given an altogether more positive review, again for the same price.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk