Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby A » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:18 pm

Seems like Trevor is on a little shopping-spree lately.
I'd like to get the two french DVD's you mention. While your review of "Les Amants reguliers" didn't sound optimistic (and "Regular Lovers" was already on my "most wanted" list before ), the one on Noce blanche made me curious about it.
A

Postby trevor826 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:18 pm

I'm always on the look-out for a good bargain and luckily have a few good contacts who watch out for anything I may be interested in, unfortunately it's almost impossible to find everything at a good price but you can't have it all.

Princess Raccoon anyone?

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:27 pm

"...and one I'm sure arsaib4 wrote about a while back, "Free Cinema", a collection of British documentaries and documentary style films from the 1950's. I'm sure I'll find a good few bits and pieces to write about from this collection."

Looking forward to it!
arsaib4

Postby A » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:46 pm

I'm also always trying to get my DVDs as cheap as possible. Lately i was lucky again with a few titles.
A

Postby trevor826 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:44 am

Takashi Miike's "Young Thugs Nostalgia" in a Virgin Megastore's bargain bin for less than 2GBP, I haven't seen it before but apparently it's his personal favourite from the films he's made.

The Death of Mr. Lazarescu
Beautiful Boxer
Save the Green Planet.........all released by Tartan Video
Happy Together - Artificial Eye
nous la libert - C'Est La Vie
The Battle of Algiers - Argent films

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:02 pm

Not purchases but I'm hoping to see some of the dvds on my wish list soon including:

Clean - Olivier Assayas
Hell (L'Enfer) - Danis Tanovic
Princess Raccoon - Seijun Suzuki
Naked Island - Kaneto Shind
The Bridesmaid - Claude Chabrol
Offside - Jafar Panahi
and a few others.

A while back one of our video rental shops asked me to make a list of foreign films, around 20-30. I thought they would get a few from the list but they actually purchased all of them. Now I've been asked to do the same for another store and can only hope they'll get most if not all of my choices.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:14 pm

Seems like a little asking can't hurt. You've certainly helped to improve the quality of their catalogue. maybe I can try and do something similar at the Institute here. They are still owning too many old and dubbed VHS movies...

Haven't heard of this particular Miike film, btw. (I own a book on him, but it's currently at my parents - that means unavailable). Could you give some more information on it when you've seen it?

One of the local theaters here is having a small showing of Japanese films in November: Three by Koreeda, and two by Sabu and Miike. I've seen most of them, but looking forward to experiencing them (again) on the big screen.
A

Postby trevor826 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:36 am

No problem A, I've been very busy lately and can't seem to get rid of my sons for some decent time on here but have managed to get hold of:

The Wind that Shakes the Barley - Ken Loach
Passenger (Pasazerka) - Andrzej Munk
the Fantomas collection plus a few other bits and pieces.

All I need now is time to watch some films.

Cheers Trev
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:07 pm

The Idiot - Akira Kurosawa - Eureka MoC
Offside (at long last) - Jafar Panahi - Artificial Eye
Show Me Love (from the Moodysson box set) - Metrodome
The Exterminating Angel - Luis Bunuel - Arrow Films

Also have Naked Island, Princess Raccoon and a few more coming soon.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:56 am

I'm a little overjoyed because I can actually report having purchasing something (its been a long while).

Bay of Angels - Jacques Demy
Inside Man - Spike Lee
Eros - Wong Kar Wai, Steven Soderbergh, Michelangelo Antonioni
My Architect - Nathaniel Kahn
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Shane Black
Don't Come Knocking - Wim Wenders
Manderlay - Lars Von Trier
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk