Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby A » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:46 pm

It's probably typical of his work, and there is nothing to say against his direction - it's very good. But the movie itself... It's very well made and delivers what it sets out to do perfectly. It's just that I don't care at all about the kind of people portrayed. And I find it a waste of time (and celluloid?) to make a film about them. It might just be me, but the film told me nothing I didn't know before, as the world is full of those kinds of persons (the same that populated last year's Berlinale disaster "Men at Work" - unfortunately there wasn't a talented director like Hong at work to balance it at least a bit). But I'll try and do it some justice in my review.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:40 pm

While I don't consider Men in Work a "disaster," it certainly could've done more with the Kiarostami idea it's based on. I didn't have a problem with the characters; in fact, you normally don't see irresponsible bourgeois men in Iranian films.
arsaib4

Postby A » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:25 pm

Yes, the premise was certainly interesting, and the story highly allegorical. ANd you don't see these kind of people much in Iranian films abroad. But i thought the directing was really poor, and only the acting kept it somewhat interesting. The script was also a bumpy ride with many plotholes or rather strange behaviour that wasn't motivated by anything than the script itself. Kind of like Kiarostami would have his character drive up and down with his car to use his mobile in "The Wind will carry us" without any reason. For me the film as a whole was a disaster, though that might be too harsh for other viewers. Where did you see it btw.?
A

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:03 pm

In TWWCU, I think Kiarostami wanted to accentuate the absurdity of his character's actions within the context of modernism.

I saw Men at Work on DVD.
arsaib4

Postby trevor826 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:43 am

Nick Broomfield's Ghosts (2006) - Tartan Video.

Very good docu-drama, based on a true story and told with no sense of sensationalism or exploitation.

The Complete Jean Vigo: - Artificial Eye.
A Propos de Nice
Taris
Zero de Conduite
L'Atlante

Miklos Jansco The Red and the White (1967) - Second Run.

Juraj Herz The Cremator (1968) - Second Run.

Hayao Miyazaki Porco Rosso (1992) - Optimum Releasing.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:21 pm

A few more bargain buys:

The Coastguard - Kim Ki-duk - Tartan Video.
The Last Metro - Franois Truffaut - Tartan Video
Angel on the Right - Jamshed Usmonov - Tartan Video
Lift to the Scaffold - Louis Malle - Optimum Releasing

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:50 pm

Talk about luck, saw the Quay Brothers The Piano Tuner of Earthquakes (2005) in a shop for the first time today, even better, it was in a sale. I've no idea how good, bad or indifferent it is but at least now I can find out.

Already mentioned within the relevant thread, Old Joy (2006) - Kelly Reichardt.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:20 am

I think I made a thread for the Quay Brothers film, and I know I posted something on it when I got a chance to see it on the big screen.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:29 am

It might've been in the Last Film Seen thread. I remember adding the DVD date or some other info.
arsaib4

Postby A » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:06 am

I also recall writing something about it. That's mysterious...
A

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk