Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby trevor826 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:53 pm

The Dream Life Of Angels (1998) - Erick Zonca - Arrow Films.

and a reissue of

Tokyo Decadence (1992) - Ry Murakami - Arrow Films.

Still cut from its original running time of 135 mins to 112 mins but far better than the first dvd release of 89 minutes.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:07 pm

The 112 min. version of "Tokyo Decadence" is soon also coming out in Germany. I guess I'll pick it up.
And three friends of mine already ordered their Jodorowsky sets so I can borrow from them
A

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:35 am

No surprise re your interest in Tokyo Decadence or the Jodorowsky set, you've always been a great exponenent of both. Luckily for me, I paid 18 G.B.P. for the Jodorowsky set and 5 G.B.P. for Tokyo Decadence, not bad considering the recommended retail prices are 50 G.B.P and 16 G.B.P. respectively.

I'd love to see Oshima's In the Realm of the Senses (Ai No Corrida) released on dvd with the missing sections added, I have it on video but as we've all found out, the quality of the print gradually degrades.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:53 am

That's a nice bargain. I'm at least a bit satisfied regarding Jodo and Murakami, as I've seen El Topo and Montana Sacra at our cinema a couple of months ago, as well as having read Murakami's "Coin Locker Babies" sometime this year.
Although I admire Tadanobu Asano and Asia Argento they do seem awfully old for the title roles. I hope the producers don't @#%$ it up, as the book has a lot of potential.

Ai no corrida has been released uncut here in Germany in a box with "Empire of Passion", though I'm not sure about the subs (possibly only German).

Link

While "Empire of Passion" has no subs whatsoever (the reason why I haven't seen it yet), Ai no corrida was stolen (!) from my local library, so I'll have to wait a bit longer till i see it. At least I'm familiar with the poetic ending, as it was shown in film class.
A

Postby trevor826 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:25 am

Ai No Corrida has been released uncut in the UK, recently as a double set as well.

Filmfour managed to obtain some footage that was taken out during the editing stage and in a special presentation screened the film with these outtakes reinstated. They did add to the overall film but I doubt it will be released with these additional moments which is a pity.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:50 am

Ah, now you're speaking. Was it Oshima or the censors who put out the footage in the first place. Anyway, I'd also like to see more of it
A

Postby trevor826 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:16 pm

There's certainly no reason why the censors would have cut these additional pieces, I guess they were just edited to cut down the overall running time. I know they were located in France and film critic Mark Kermode had something to do with locating them and having them edited back into the film.

I was going to do a comparison to note where they were added but then realised I don't have the dvd version, either that or my collection has become really disorganised and I just couldn't find it.

I'll have to take another look as I'm sure I've got it somewhere.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby trevor826 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:28 pm

I already own a couple of the films that were big influences for Kill Bill, Lady Snowblood and Female Convict Scorpion - Jailhouse 41.

I've just picked up another where the influence is very obvious: Sex and Fury (Fury anego den: Inoshika Och) (1973) - Norifumi Suzuki.

Plus its companion title: Female Yakuza Tale (Yasagure anego den: skatsu rinchi) (1973) - Teruo Ishii.

Both starring Reiko Ike and released by Fabulous Films in the U.K, hopefully there'll be more to come.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:15 pm

I really think between us we can come up with a nice little Grindhouse compendium. Break films down by zombies, kung fu, car chases, women in prison, lesbian vampires, gore, blaxploitation, etc. I really don't know of anyone who has really gone out to make any sort of definitive guide for these type of movies. The only possible exception is Danny Peary's monumentally helpful Cult Movies book, which is already 26 years old.
wpqx

Postby A » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:42 pm

This is a phenomenal idea!
I think we should immediately open up such a thread!

I'd be particularly interested in some comments about Teruo Ishii's films.
A

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk