Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby trevor826 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:09 pm

Esmas Secret - [Grbavica] (2006) - Jasmila Zbanic (Dogwoof Pictures) Link to review.

The Cloud Capped Star (Meghe Dhaka Tara) (1960) - Ritwik Ghatak (BFI Films)

If.... (1968) - Lindsay Anderson (Paramount)

Pistol Opera (Pisutoru Opera) (2001) - Seijun Suzuki (Yume Pictures)

Gonza the Spearman (Yari no Gonza) (1986) - Masahiro Shinoda (Artsmagic)

Cheers Trev.

Postby R6dw6C » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:29 pm

@ trevor:

I hope you'll post a little comment on the Suzuki when you've watched it!

Postby A » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:19 pm

Heh, I need to see all of the stuff you've bought R6dw6C. I've only robbed all Videostores of their valuable goods. Nothing special, just the usual (if interesting) suspects: Tears of the black tiger, Drive, Spider, Whisky, Don't come Knocking, Punch Drunk Love, 9 Songs, The Happiness of the Katakuris, and some others. The more obscure stuuf was some old Eastwood actioner from the 70s, a Thai action film, one by Mike Hodges, a Hong Kong actioner and a Korean historical movie.

AND, I've finally ordered the 3 Disc Jean Renoir Boxset from the United States, arsaib has written about in our Forum. Thanks a lot, for making me aware of this set!

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:49 pm

You're welcome, A.

R6dw6C's list is quite something. I'm especially interested in the Zulawski. And Punch Drunk Love is valuable, indeed.

Postby R6dw6C » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:45 pm

You bought some nice stuff, A! I'm looking forward to watch "Don't come knocking" with you and afterwards backbite a little bit about Wim Wenders as usual! "Spider" (the great Cronenberg, I guess?), "Tears of the black tiger", "The Happiness of the Katakuris", "9 Songs"... finally we've got enough stuff!

Just watched "Demonia" and "The most important thing: Love". The first one isn't for you as it's probably the worst film I've seen in months (but still quite amusing in a pervert, incomprehensible way, 7/10!). My memories of the Zulawski were right as expected. Probably the most cruel film of my new entries and a perfect example of emotional self-laceration and the pain of aspiration. Absolutely stunning. And three of my favourite actors of all time, Romy Schneider, Fabio Testi and Klaus Kinski are acting for their lives. Romy has probably never been better. You'll love it, A!

Btw, the Filmhaus will launch a Jean Renoir retrospective next month!

@ arsaib:

I suppose you've already seen some films by Zulawski? One of the greatest...

Postby A » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:37 pm

Hehe, seems like you always get the good news first. Maybe I'll watch Toni in Nuremberg now. Much better to discuss it with someone than watch it alone.

Does the Zulawski have German subs for the original french version?

Postby R6dw6C » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:10 pm

Quote:Does the Zulawski have German subs for the original french version?

Can't believe that this question is coming from you as you love dubbings so much!

Yes, there are german... "dubtitles". Better than no subs at all but not very useful... Actually, it doesn't matter - Romy dubbed herself brilliantly in the german version, Klaus Kinski was dubbed by another actor in both and Jacques Dutronc's voice was perfect - that are the three most important things. Okay, that's only half of the truth - Fabio Testi's voice was awful and the dubbing only second choice which usually wasn't the case with german dubs from the 70ies.

I'm looking forward to discuss the Renoirs with you. Hope I can catch most of them as I probably have to go to Vienna at the end of October to see Argentos "La terza madre".

Postby A » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:25 pm

I knew it was something bad. Time to learn French I guess

The Renoir retro sounds terrific! I hope they have a lot of restored and7or subtitled prints. I'll have to check it out when the line-up is announced.

Maybe I'll join you in Vienna, if my finances and my Japanese studies are ok

Postby wpqx » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:50 am

Renoir is a couple of directors away from my director mission, so a retro would be might convenient right now. Unfortunately I can't find a copy of La Nuit du Carrefour.

Postby A » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:10 am

He has made many films, naturally some will be extremely hard to find. But he is very well represented on DVD. Can't wait to (re-) watch more of his films. And the Renoir Box I ordered should arrive soon.

Return to Film Talk