Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby wpqx » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:27 pm

The last few years have been good for Renoir DVD's. Not too long ago the only two available for years were The Grand Illusion and a public domain copy of The Southerner. Amazing how much that's changed over the last couple of years.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:01 am

Yes, R6dw6C, even though the word "auteur" seems to have lost a bit of its meaning and stature since it's thrown around so casually nowadays, Zulawski is someone who's truly deserving of it. His vision is unique, unparalleled and uncompromising. Now that "underground" cinema appears to be in the limelight again, I hope some of his more esoteric work is made available for viewing.
arsaib4

Postby A » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:20 pm

Very well put arsaib.
A

Postby R6dw6C » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:57 pm

@ arsaib:

True words!

Just because you mentioned his "more esoteric stuff": Have you seen "The silver globe"? I heard that it will be released in the US within the next few months and if you haven't already you should check this one out.
I watched it last week (it was shown only ONE time on german television in 1990 and fortunately, a friend of mine taped it) and was frightened and impressed at the same time. The references to Zulawski's other films seemed quite thin to me (at least, in the beginning) and the most noticable difference between this film and his other features were the dialogues. As there were almost no dialogues. It is partial an adaption of the so-called "Lunar Trilogy", written by Zulawskis grand-uncle Jerzy and almost every sentence is a philosophical assumption or even a little discourse of its own. So, not according to the four other films I've seen by him up to now ("L'Important c'est d'aimer", "Possession" and "La Fidlit"), I was extremely exhausted after this three hours but the concentration was worth it as I conformed a lot with Zulawskis points.

Once, a critic wrote that this film probably could have been Zulawskis breakthrough if he would've been able to finish it in 1977 and the whole affair indeed seems as an incredible injustice to me right now.
R6dw6C

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:53 am

That's funny because I recently contacted A about a piece on Zulawski which I wasn't able to locate (I still can't but that's another story). Unfortunately, there isn't much available on him and his films in the English language.

You'll be be happy to hear that On the Silver Globe came out in the U.S at the end of August. However, due to TIFF and other engagements I haven't been able to watch it yet (also, I'm wondering if it'd be better to wait for the expected "official" release with proper aspect-ratio). But since you've now seen it, in order for us to discuss it I might as well try to do so too. Zulawskis I've seen so far: Trzecia czesc nocy, Diabel, Possession, Mes nuits sont plus belles que vos jours, and Szamanka.
arsaib4

Postby A » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:58 pm

On Friday my Three Disc Renoir Box finally arrived. I'll be probably rewatching some of the 7 films in this collection after the retrospective of his works which will be held in a cinema in Nuremberg throughout October. They will show 17 of his films, along with two documentaries by Jacques Rivette and Jean Eustache (!)

Seems like October will be 100 % Jean Renoir.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:14 am

That's good to know. I've just altered the title of my Renoir thread, so now all of his silents could be discussed there.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:23 am

I'll eventually make a thread for his sound films which I'll get to hopefully sooner than later.
wpqx

Postby R6dw6C » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:23 am

Never buy a DVD without knowing for sure that it is alright. Usually, I search the web for informations before buying any DVD - and when I bought the british DVD of Paul Verhoevens notorious "Showgirls" (second hand) I was was harshly punished for being careless. It was cut!
Fortunately, I managed to return it and change it by Antonia Bird's "Ravenous".
Further purchases (All second hand):

A Sam Fuller Double Feature including "Shock Corridor" (1963) and "The naked Kiss" (1964) from the UK by Metrodome,
Jess Franco's "Eugenie de Sade" (1970) by Wild East Entertainment (I already regret it - the english dub is awful) and the first german film to deal with homosexuality (even in a positive way!), Richard Oswalds long lost silent "Anders als die Anderen / Different from the others" (1919) by Kino Video (Do they always replace original, non-english captions by new, cheap and english ones?!).
R6dw6C

Postby R6dw6C » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:29 pm

DVD of the week is the german (and uncut) DVD of "SHOWGIRLS" (1995). I'm most anxious to finally see it in its complete glory (I already watched the first half of the film from before said censored UK DVD and I think it probably is one of the most underrated films of the 90ies...Let's see what the second half brings...). My memories of Peter Jacksons "KING KONG" (2005) aren't anything special but I felt that one view (two years ago) wasn't enough, so I took the Double-Disc-Set by Universal - which was very cheap, fortunately - I wouldn't spend a lot in this film... Further purchases: Ruggero Deodato's exploitation adventure film "CUT AND RUN" (1983) by Anchor Bay (Deodatos first film after a three year-shooting-ban he was forced to because of "Cannibal Holocaust"), Antonio Margheritis obscure "THE VIRGIN OF NUREMBERG" (1963, A gothic horror flick that deals with the third Reich! - The film, of course, has nothing to do with Nuremberg at all ), "THE KNACK (and how to get it)" (1964, I love Richard Lester!). Three Films by the "european Ed Wood", Jess Franco (the first one is probably his masterpiece) "VENUS IN FURS" (1969) - "DEVIL'S ISLAND LOVERS" (1972) and "THE EROTIC RITES OF FRANKENSTEIN" (1972).
"ISLAND OF THE BLOODY PLANTATION" (1982) by Rainer Werner Fassbinder supporter and star Kurt Raab (!!!) and austrian Auteur Peter Kern (they needed money when they made this film...) and Carl Theodor Dreyer's "MICHAEL" (1924) by Kino Video (same problem with the intertitles again...).
R6dw6C

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk