Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:49 am

The Bellocchio film is OOP in the U.S. It may be available elsewhere, I'm not sure.

Some interesting choices, A, especially the Van Sant, the Schrader, the Demme, and the two by Winterbottom. More new releases than usual for you, but I guess the price was right.
arsaib4

Postby A » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:27 am

I've wanted to see or own all of them for quite some time now, and i don't think I'll regret it. A videostore was doing a sell-out - how could I have expected this at a marketplace where one usually obtains rare, expensive and OOP titles...

Though I guess we all are extreme movie addicts.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:19 am

True. Looking forward to your thoughts on them in the upcoming weeks and months.
arsaib4

Postby R6dw6C » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:39 pm

@ wpqx:

As long as you got enough left for food, it's all right. There were times when I starved because I spent too much on DVDs...

@ arsaib:

Thanks for the information, very uncomfortable. Fortunately, I bought the mentioned Double-Feature by NoShame as I was informed by Matalo Matango that it's also out of print.

In addition to some Christmas gifts for my family, I also bought something for myself.

... first of all, the Warner Bros. DVD of Richard Linklater's "A Scanner Darkly" (which didn't receive a theatrical release over here) finally cheapened from 20 to 8 and as it's one of the most interesting DVD premiers of the year, I couldn't resist.
Another (!) new Warner release was even more important. As I included Christopher Nolan's latest film "The Prestige" in my Top 26 of 2007 without being completely sure, a rewatch seemed necessary. Further temptations that were too strong: Jean-Jacques Beineix' "Diva" (1981), Shinya Tsukamoto's "Bullet Ballet" (1998 ) and - though it's a mediocre junk-disc - "The Shout" (1978 ) which is the only film by Jerzy Skolimowsky available on DVD here.
R6dw6C

Postby wpqx » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:05 am

The fact that I have Facets four blocks from my house (at least for the time being), I have been able to survive without purchasing DVD's.
wpqx

Postby R6dw6C » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:07 am

That's a real fortune, wpqx! A already told me about your luck. I'd love to live near to Facets too. Especially because it seems as you can get anything, no matter how obscure and rare it is... And all that eastern european / russian stuff... *sigh*
R6dw6C

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:18 am

I have a periodic set back, but I can't think of another video store anywhere that even comes close.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:01 am

Facets is certainly special.

Looking forward to your thoughts on A Scanner Darkly, which tied for #2 on my Best of '06 list. Also a fan of Tsukamoto and Bullet Ballet.
arsaib4

Postby R6dw6C » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:18 am

Strange, don't exactly know why but I thought that Tsukamoto isn't too popular here (when I discovered "Vital" on your "Best of 2006-List" I was somehow suprised - I'm still waiting for the right moment to watch it and I have a premonition that it could become my favourite Tsukamoto, followed by "Tokyo Fist") but how nice that I was wrong.
R6dw6C

Postby R6dw6C » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:28 pm

The last DVD-Purchases of 2007 and probably for a long as I started to save money in order to be able to attend the "Berlinale" in February:
Uwe Friener's rough social drama and late 70ies-Cult-Movie of the new German wave, "Das Ende des Regenbogens / The End of the Rainbow" (1979) which I already rewatched and decided to keep it on my "70ies-List", Michael Crichtons "Westworld" (1973), Damiano Damiani's political Spaghetti Western "A Bullet for the General / Quien sabe?" (1966) on an excellent new release by Koch Media, Luchino Visconti's "Rocco and his Brothers" (1960) and another addition to my growing Douglas Sirk-Collection, his early Film noir "Lured" (1947).
R6dw6C

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk