Recent DVD Purchases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Recent DVD Purchases

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:35 am

Beside "A Bullet for the General" and "How to kill a Judge" (I'd tend to ignore "Amityville Horror II"), are there any other of his films available on adequate DVDs?

Along with Beautiful Wife, those two are most likely the only ones when it comes to U.S. releases. I just got A Bullet for the General, whose 'Scope format is properly preserved. I'll attempt to watch it over the weekend.

I'll try to prepare something within the next three weeks, before we'll go to Berlin.

Thanks for the explanation, now I'll know what's going on with your ratings in the future

Thanks. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Well, if this little outline represents fairly what you liked most about the film, you're already into Damiani, arsaib!

Absolutely. Can't wait to watch the other films.

Have you also seen Constantin Costa-Gavras' "Z"?

Yes. It's one of the better political dramas I've come across.

And thanks for commenting on demonlover. I'm glad it was a positive, albeit slightly difficult, experience for you. The film has been misunderstood by some, but then, challenging and uncompromising films usually are.

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:19 am

You gotta love Klaus Kinski. The man got away with playing anyone, doing anything. Perhaps because as it's been said on numerous occasions, it's hard to look elsewhere when he's on-screen, even when this blue-eyed golden-haired impresario is playing a Mexican bandito. A Bullet for the General was dubbed, which I should've seen coming considering its spaghetti western pedigree.

Postby R6dw6C » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:44 pm

Klaus Kinski is one of my favourite actors - what a charismatic person he almost always was! If you're interested in his personality more, you should check out his Biography "Ich bin so wild nach deinem Erdbeermund" (I don't know it is available in English, though) which is... ahem... quite strong tobacco. But very telling and fascinating - the man's ego was enormous.

So, did you like "A Bullet for the General"? I know that Spaghetti Western Problem but: They were almost always shot without sound and then dubbed into the several languages - it was more comfortable and often, they were co-produced by some other countries and this way, there were some non-italian actors and so on. You'll have a hard time to find Westerns, Gialli or Poliziottesci that were really shot in Italian or English. I usually prefer the Italian Dub with subtitles.

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:39 am

Thanks for the Kinski recommendation.

A Bullet for the General took its time to get into gear but once it did it was quite interesting. The same could be said regarding the political angle which came to fruition late in the proceedings. I wasn't surprised to discover that it was adapted by Franco Solanas who, among other politically motivated efforts, also contributed to The Battle of Algiers. I've only seen two Damiani films so far but it's clear to me that he knew how to handle the 'scope format. Not nearly as great as Beautiful Wife, but nonetheless an engaging viewing experience.

Postby A » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:36 pm

I couldn't hepl myself and had to buy some DVDs on ebay, even if I'm in need of money...

Purchased the German DVD of Kore'eda's "After Life" (1999), as well as thre Chinese "DVDs"

Magnificent Obsession (Douglas Sirk / 1954) - horrible transfer, but at least it's full-screen
"A Hen in the Wind" (Yasujiro Ozu / 1948) - excellent transfer
and also a set of the first three feature films by one of my most beloved filmmakers: Leos Carax - this transfer is also very good.

Needless to say, i didn't pay more than 5 Euros each (10 for the box-set), including shipping costs.

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:16 am

a few recent purchases...

Rocco and His Brothers - Visconti

J'attends quelqu'un - Bonnell

Diamonds of the Night - Nemec

Postby A » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:53 pm

Mamoru Oshii Cinema Trilogy (first three live-action films + soundtrack)
Friends - Season 1
Under the Cherry Moon (Prince)
Superman 4 Disc Set (Donner)
An Eye for an Eye (Carver)
Flight of the Intruder (Milius)
Deadlier than the Male (Ralph Thomas)
Mission to Mars (DePalma)
Raw Deal (Irvin)
Goin' South (Nicholson)
Some Kind of Wonderful (Deutch)

Postby wpqx » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:44 pm

I got a healthy dose of trash flicks today so don't judge me. Damn it's been awhile since I've updated this.

Rambo: The Complete Collector's Set (All four films)
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (I've been listening to too much Wu-Tang lately)
One Missed Call Collection (Japanese Version)
Funny Games (1997)
Planet Terror
Death Proof (this director's cut better be as good as arsaib says)
Grindhouse Experience (Lots of %$$%) included:
Womens Camp 119
Tortured Angels
Savage Man/Savage Beast
Raw Force
Confessions of a Police Captain
Executioner 2
Poseidon Explosion
Earthquake 7.9
Violent Professionals
Frank and Tony
Kung Fu Punch of Death
Return of the Tiger
Go Kill and Come Back
Bounty Man
Three Tough Guys
Mandinga (what a great title)
The Children
Demon Witch Child
High School Hitch Hikers
Carry on Emannuelle

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:09 pm

wpqx wrote: Mandinga (what a great title)
Plot: "An Old South plantation owner lusts after his female slaves" (IMDb). ;)

Btw, I was going to tell you to send me the bill for the QT but I think I'm currently more broke than you are...

Postby wpqx » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:43 pm

This is the first time I've been able to buy DVD's in nearly two years and it felt amazing, just like the old days.

Return to Film Talk