US releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

US releases

Postby Sara » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:20 pm

Tomorrow (Nov. Pickpocket and Ugetsu.

Sara
Sara

Re: US releases

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:06 am

Peter Watkins' nearly six-hour masterwork, La Commune (Paris, 1871) (2000), which was originally made for French television but was never shown, is now available on DVD in the U.S. thanks to First Run Features. Utilizing more than 200 mostly non-professtional actors on a minimalist Brechtian set (yes, a little like Dogville), Watkins re-creates the events of 1871, when a revolutionary government was formed by the Parisians after Napolean III's defeat in the Franco-Prussian War. The film is a powerful examination of how history was (and is) interpreted by those in power.

I was fortunate enough to see La Commune (Paris, 1871) when it was released theatrically in the U.S. in 2003 by First Run/Icarus films. I also bought the subtitled French DVD of the film as soon as it became available. The 3 DVD-set being released by FRF includes Geoff Bowie's doc The Universal Clock: The Resistance of Peter Watkins.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:10 am

The 8-disc box set titled The Wim Wenders Collection: Volume Two is scheduled to be released by Anchor Bay on Dec 5.

The Scarlet Letter
Wrong Move
Lightning over Water
Room 666
Tokyo-Ga
A Trick of Light
The American Friend
Notebook on Cities and Clothes
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:09 pm

I've heard about this collection for at least two years, and frankly its a little upsetting. Tokyo-Ga is already available from Criterion, and The American Friend has been in print for several years. Chief among my complaints is still no Kings of the Road. However my favorite Wenders film is in the set, and I would say its worth picking up, but not without some reservations.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:29 am

You're right, most of the films are already available -- 3 of them were part of Volume One. But I won't mind if they're better prints and are accompanied by a few pertinent extras features.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:34 am

my suspicions say they'll be the same versions, same editions, possibly repackaged, like the Herzog/Kinski set.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:04 pm

Renowned French filmmaker Claude Sautet's award-winning penultimate effort, Un Coeur en hiver (A Heart in Winter / 1992), was released on DVD November 7th by Koch Lorber Films. This exquisitely beautiful and emotionally subtle film about unrequited love stars Emmanuelle Bart, Daniel Auteuil and Andr Dussollier.

Features:

*Newly restored HD transfer supervised by the film's director of photography, Yves Angelo
*Four page booklet with essay by film critic Michel Boujut
*Interview with the director
*French TV appearances by director Claude Sautet and Andre Dussolier
*Excerpt from the documentary Claude Sautet ou la Magie Invisible
*Original French theatrical trailer
arsaib4

Postby Sara » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:18 pm

I already have A Heart In Winter in my Netflix queue. I love Beart and Auteuil. Should be getting it this next week.

Sara
Sara

Postby wpqx » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:47 pm

Figured this would eventually be coming out, I was of the not so impressed variety when I saw the film, but that's just me (and it really does seem to be just me). I honestly haven't been paying a great deal of attention to what's been coming out because of my financial situation.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:56 am

That's good to know, Sara. Please share your thoughts if you get the chance.

Yeah, it is just you, wpqx. So come aboard before it's too late.
arsaib4

Next

Return to Film Talk