US releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: US releases

Postby A » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:30 pm

Get the heathen!
I think you'll like it Sara, it's a very subdued film that is a powerful experience.
A

Postby wpqx » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:50 am

Well I know I don't get excited about much, but today I saw that both The Conformist and the 315 minute version of 1900 are both FINALLY getting released from Paramount on DVD. Great news indeed. I believe the 1900 is baren on special features, but the fact that the film is being released in its complete form is enough for me. The Conformist has more special features, and both DVD's are ludicrously cheap. I don't have any official information, but they are available for pre-order on DVD Planet.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:06 am

Great news, indeed. And, yes, it's official.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:37 am

I also stumbled upon a 3-pack of Jacques Feyder's early silent French films. I'm not sure what the set contains, but this too is something of note, considering how his early French output has never been available here, and if I get a hold of it, I may just be able to meet A's review-a-thon requirement
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:02 am

I'm glad you're keeping track of these releases. I saw this, too, and am looking forward to it. I believe the title is "Rediscover Jacques Feyder." It contains Queen of Atlantis (L'Atlantide, 1920), Crainquebille (1922), and Faces of Children (Visages d'enfants), 1925). Home Vision is releasing the set so my expectations are high. Feyder is most famous here for the couple of films he made with Greta Garbo.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:33 am

It already has been released, or at least Facets already had it. I was hoping for some of his 30's French films to come out (most importantly Carnival in Flanders), but was more than happy to hear of these. I've seen his few American films with Garbo and they're not particularly noteworthy, The Kiss being Garbo's last silent film and possibly the weakest.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:02 am

I haven't yet seen Carnival in Flanders; but I've read that its U.S. release was cut by about one-third, which is a lot to say the least.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:54 am

Neither have I, but I know its on VHS.
wpqx

Postby A » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:48 pm

Ah, Feyder, haven't seen anything by him myself, but I have his Carmen (1926) on VHS (although I forgot to tape the first 15 minutes ). Another of his silents has been released here in germany with interesting bonus material, but it is a bit pricey.
I am currently working on my piece for the review-a-thon, but it seems to evolve into a comparison between the book and the film. Don't know if that is a good thing...
A

Postby wpqx » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:48 am

I was planning on doing something to that effect for Kubrick's Lolita, and since I'm now reading A Clockwork Orange I might just do the same for that. Book/film comparissions aren't a particularly bad idea, and it was certainly the approach for my grandiose Grapes of Wrath review. I'm still deciding on what I'm reviewing for your review a thon, I've watched at least 3 silent Soviet films, and am yet to check out Arsenal, so I may still go with that. You seem to have opened up the topic wide enough to not have any conflicting interests.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk