US releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: US releases

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:44 am

I think it's worth pointing out that two of the best and most audacious foreign releases in the U.S. this year are now available on DVD.

*Review/Discussion THREAD.

Extra Features:

-Deleted Scenes: Commentary by director Patrice Chreau
-Interviews: Chereau, Isabelle Huppert, Pascal Greggory

*Review/Discussion THREAD
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:24 pm

I have heard of neither of these films. As far as soon to be released DVDs, I'm most excited about The Simpsons Season 9, imo the last of the perfect seasons.
wpqx

Postby A » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:19 pm

Great to see those two out. I still haven't seen 4 or Chereau's latest. But Intimacy and Son frere were both great.
Season 9 is one of the last good seasons from the simpsons. I think I stopped watching after season 12 some years ago. I have seen most of the first 200 episodes more than 4 times, but it's been a while, and I need to revisit at least the first ten seasons. Easily one of the best TV shows ever.
Hope they won't screw up the Simpsons film that seems to be in production forever.
A

Postby wpqx » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:17 pm

I have no faith in the Simpsons film. I actually caught part of the Christmas episode last Sunday, and nothing remotely worth making me change my mind about how its gone completely to @#%$. I'll stick with Family Guy, which is still cracking me up thankfully. However no show will probably every touch the Simpsons when they were in their prime.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:57 am

I think Family Guy is as "cutting-edge" as anything on American television right now. Stewie Griffin is simply an ingenious creation.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:50 pm

Viva Pedro: The Almodvar Collection is scheduled to be released by Sony Pictures on January 30th. The 9-dics set includes:

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
All About My Mother
Talk to Her
The Flower of My Secret
Live Flesh
Bad Education
Law of Desire
Matador
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:32 am

Largely based on Charles Bukowski's 1975 novel of the same name, Factotum is a witty and engaging drama from Norwegian filmmaker Bent Hamer (Kitchen Stories). The film's low-key, deadpan humor, not to mention it's pared-down visual style, certainly brings the work of Jim Jarmusch and Aki Kaurismki to mind. Matt Dillion, Lili Taylor and Marisa Tomei are wonderful in their roles. In its own understated way, Factotum is as accomplished an effort as Bukowski-scripted Barfly.

Available on DVD from IFC Films/Genius Ent. (Also available in the U.K. [Icon Home Ent.].)

*Extra Features include a making-of-doc shot by a Norwegian crew.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:15 am

Yeah I just saw the DVD for the first time today, but unfortunately Facets' copy was checked out. I missed the film in the theater, so I'm looking forward to seeing it on DVD. It'll be cutting it close but with any luck I'll be able to get to it before year's end.
wpqx

Postby trevor826 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:33 am

Thanks for the nod re: Factotum, it's one of those films that I've noticed but haven't really been pulled to, I'll see if it's still available to rent now.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby A » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:44 pm

We`ll be showin Factotum in our little cinema in January. It was also one of the films I was interested to see but missed. Hope to catch it, and I always like to see Marisa Tomei on screen.
A

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk