US releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: US releases

Postby wpqx » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:36 pm

Somewhere along the line I unexplainably became a Matt Dillon fan, probably Drugstore Cowboy. This film looks like a "Look at how good of an actor I can be" and I think its fair time he got a roll of this kind. I think we all can agree on how well he did in Crash, but still supporting.

As far as future releases and other Oscar contenders:

1/9/07
The Illusionist
Quinceanara

1/23/07
Angel Face (1952)
Home From the Hill (1960)
Macao (1952)
The Sundowners (1960)
The Yakuza (1975)
Sherrybaby

1/30/07
Band of Angels - Raoul Walsh
Madame Curie (1930)
Maniac (1980)

2/6/07
The Clock (1945)
Hitchcock: 3 Disc Collecters Edition (Includes Manxman, Rich and Strange, The Skin Game, Murder, and The Ring)
The Heiress (1949)

2/13/07
Half Nelson
13 Tzameti
Ginger and Fred (1986)
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962)
Performance (1970)
US vs. John Lennon
War and Peace (1968)
Cuban Masterworks Collection (The Twelve Chairs, The Adventures of Juan Quin Quin, Cecila, Amada, A Successful Man)
Lunacy - Svankmajer's latest woo-hoo
Marie Antoinette

2/27/06
Tideland
The Last King of Scotland
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:59 am

wpqx: I hope you eventually get to it. And thanks for the list!

Trevor: Ditto.

A: Tomei only appeared in a few sequences but she made a very strong impression. I think this film is worth starting a thread on; I'll try to do so over the weekend.
arsaib4

Postby madhuban » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:54 am

The film's low-key, deadpan humor, not to mention it's pared-down visual style, certainly brings the work of Jim Jarmusch and Aki Kaurismki to mind.

I have to get to this one too! Thanks arsaib.
madhuban

Postby trevor826 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:46 pm

Just found out that our central library have a copy of Factotum so I'll pick it up in the new year.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:12 am

I rented it, but work has been kicking my ass, (I have to be back in less than 8 hours and I need sleep). I'll probably spend New Years Day hung over watching movies.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:30 pm

Factotum just might be the perfect film for you (you'll know what I mean while you're watching it).
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 am

You know I generally get teh wrong impression from movies. Watching Fast Food Nation all I could think about was how good a burger was going to taste as soon as I got out of the theater. And here I am moments after finishing the movie, drinking vodka. I find the film very non-judgemental. Preachy "alcohol ruins lives" movies have been around for decades, and as much as I loved Days of Wine and Roses, you can only state the same thing so often. I can't remember too well, but I may also have felt like burning a church after watching 4 Little Girls.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:51 am

I'm a little surprised that Michael Winterbottom's wonderful, clever, wry "new" film Tristram Shandy: A @#%$ and Bull Story hasn't been discussed so far. It stars Steve Coogan as Steve Coogan (is there anything better?!) in a film within a film as someone who believes that he's an important part of a historical production, but behind-the-scenes tribulations -- caught pitch-perfectly by the prolific and ever-surprising Winterbottom -- cause all sorts of headaches for him. While there are many layers to this film, the filmmaker does his Altman-best in handling the task.

Now available on DVD. I'm looking forward to listening to the commentaries, which I'm sure will contain a smirk or two.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:52 am

Mr. Oliver Stone isn't done with Alexander just yet. Alexander Revisited: The Unrated Final Cut -- featuring more than 45 mintues of never-seen-before footage -- will hit the shelves on February 27th.

The film has reportedly been structured into three acts: Act I: Seeds of the Man; Act II: Introspection; Act III: Revolution. It will be introduced by the master himself: "Over the last two years I have been able to sort out some of the unanswered questions about this highly complicated and passionate monarch -- questions I failed to answer dramatically enough. This film represents my complete and last version, as it will contain all the essential footage we shot. I don't know how many filmmakers have managed to make three versions of the same film, but I have been fortunate to have the opportunity because of the success of video and DVD sales in the world, and I felt if I didn't do it now, with the energy and memory I still have for the subject, it would never quite be the same again. For me, this is the complete Alexander, the clearest interpretation I can offer."
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:52 am

Ok, well I guess procrastination pays off again, considering I haven't gotten the other version(s) of the film.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk