US releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: US releases

Postby A » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:30 pm

Maybe I will take a look at it now...
Wasn't too keen on watching it after the mixed reactions to the theatrical release.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:51 am

Alexander isn't one of Stone's best films, but it's head and shoulders above such sloppy historical epics as King Arthur, Troy and Kingdom of Heaven.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:04 am

Just would like to mention that Fantoma has released The Films of Kenneth Anger Volume 1 today, encompassing his earlier work, including the groundbreaking Fireworks. I haven't had a chance to see the quality of the prints, but from one reliable source they appear to be a vast improvement.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:18 am

Yeah, I heard about it a few days ago. I don't think I'm ready to dive in just yet, but hope to do so in a couple of months.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:43 pm

I have all the films already, so I'm not too concerned about replacing them yet, but I strongly recomend his work to anyone.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:05 am

The Films of Kenneth Anger: Vol 1 consists of Fireworks, Puce Moment, Rabbit's Moon, Eaux d'Artifice, and Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome.

Besides Fireworks, which ones do you consider to be his best?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:28 am

Scorpio Rising is an essential, but it is coming out on volume 2. Innauguration of a Pleasure Dome is quite bizarre (as are all his films) but almost seems too long for its own good. Rabit Moon is a mixed bag. Apparently the 16 minute version scored with Doo-wop tunes is the one included, whereas I am familiar with the 7 minute version, which has a much better soundtrack. From the people who've seen both, I hear more people preferring the shortened version, but unfortunately this wasn't included on the set, it could have at least given us the option of comparing them.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:10 am

Thanks!
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:39 pm

Kenneth Anger is celebrating his 80th birthday today, so not a bad time to check out one of his pictures.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:39 am

The 6-disc set titled Robert Mitchum: The Signature Collection is now available from Warner. It includes Angel Face, Macao, Home from the Hill, The Sundowners, The Good Guys & The Bad Guys, and The Yakuza.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk