US releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: US releases

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:52 am

Yeah, I remember it being promoted as a "companion piece" to the new Eastwood efforts, or at least Iwo Jima. I guess I'll wait for your thoughts on this one.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:00 am

Alain Resnais' third feature, the 1963 Golden Lion-nominated Muriel, will be available on DVD from Koch Lorber Films on March 13.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:44 am

If Apichatpong Weerasethakul's masterful Blissfully Yours (2002) would've been released on DVD in the U.S. in 2006, it would've qualified for my annual list under my straight-to-DVD rule. But I'm not gonna complain too much because this previously undistribued film is scheduled to come out on May 8th. Apichatpong's U.S. sympathizer Strand Releasing is making it available. The DVD will feature audio commentary from the inestimable Chuck Stephens.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:14 am

I wasn't overly impressed with the film, and saw a region 2 DVD of it, kinda put me to sleep. I recently watched Tropical Malady which was better due to the whole metaphysical thing near the end.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:38 pm

Blissfully Yours is harder to appreciate than Malady because its ideas are buried even deeper. It resonates more in retrospect. Its physicality wins any day over the latter's metaphysicality.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:12 am

Description courtesy of Facets:

"Exiled Chilean director Raoul Ruiz offers up three films that showcase his visually intense, highly metaphysical style. In Three Crowns of the Sailor (France, 1983, 117 mins.), a surreal drama based on the Chilo myth of "Caleuche," or "The Ship of the Dead," a sailor spins fantastical yarns of far-off brothels, opium dens, and exotic characters for a young boy who just committed murder. Sacha Vierny (Night and Fog) lends his beautiful black-and-white lensing to the avant-garde staple The Hypothesis of a Stolen Painting (France, 1979, 63 mins.), in which a pompous art collector guides a tour through a fantastic gallery of "living images." As the human artworks begin to smirk and fidget, a new level of spectatorship is introduced into this daring meditation on the relationship between words and images. And in The Suspended Vocation (France, 1978, 96 mins.), based on a Pierre Klossowski novel about his experiences in the seminary during the German Occupation, Ruiz uses a complex parallel narrative to offer a critical examination of the mysteries of the Catholic Church."

The 2-disc set being released by Facets on April 24th includes two 30-minute interviews with Ruiz and a collectible booklet by Ruiz scholar Brnice Reynaud.

[Note: Three Crowns of the Sailor was released individually by Facets last year, while The Suspended Vocation was provided as an extra on the disc of The Hypothesis of a Stolen Painting.]
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:46 pm

I've only seen Hypothesis, and planned on getting around to Three Crowns eventually. I think I can easily wait a couple of weeks to try and check out this set.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:59 am

If I remember correctly, you did at least like Hypothesis. Three Crowns is one of the best Ruiz films I've seen thus far. Its baroqueness just might remind you of a certain filmmaker. In order to fully appreciate Vocation's parallel structure, I think I need to give it another try sometime in the near future.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:13 pm

Philippe Garrel's masterful new film, Regular Lovers (2005), will be released by Zeitgeist Video on May 22nd.

Special Features:

*Stunning new transfer, in the films original full screen theatrical aspect ratio.
*Venice Film Festival Press Conference with director Philippe Garrel, stars Louis Garrel and Clotiide Hesme and producer Gilles Sandoz.
*Philippe Garrel filmography.
*French theatrical trailer.
*Optional English subtitles.
*Extensive new essay by film critic Kent Jones.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Mon May 07, 2007 3:41 am

Description courtesy of Facets:

"Described as 'the Mexican John Ford' (New York Times), Fernando de Fuentes was by far the most talented filmmaker of early Mexican sound cinema. This tragic trilogy set during the Mexican Revolution was possibly his greatest achievement. Prisoner 13 (1933, 76 mins.) concerns a son who pays for his father's faults and a desperate mother who tries at all costs to save her son's life. El Compadre Mendoza (1933, 85 mins.) examines the corrupted ideals of the Revolution by way of an opportunistic landowner, who must choose between remaining loyal to a general in Zapata's army (and facing financial ruin) or saving his own skin. Lastly, Fuentes' sweeping epic Let's Go with Pancho Villa (1936, 92 mins.) follows the adventures of six young men who leave their rural homes to join Pancho Villa's army, enduring hardship, loss, and disillusionment over the Revolution in the process. Shot by Gabriel Figueroa (The Fugitive [and Los Olvidados]), one of the world's most gifted black and white cinematographers."

This 3-disc set is now available.

[Note: Mendoza and Prisoner were individually released on DVD in 2006 (the latter ended up on my DVD list), while Pancho Villa has been available since late 2005.]
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk