US releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: US releases

Postby A » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:06 am

Actually the priority in my job search at the moment is nice work atmosphere and colleagues. I'm sick of having to work in a negative working climate. I'll let U know if I'm successful
A

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:36 am

I think that's very important, otherwise the rest of your day also feels miserable.
arsaib4

Postby A » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:11 am

Yes, you're spot-on.
A

Postby wpqx » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:15 pm

Charles Burnett Collection

3-DVD set. Includes the new high-def transfer of Killer of Sheep from the UCLA Film and Television Archive's brilliant 35mm restoration, My Brother's Wedding as restored by the Pacific Film Archive and Several Friends and The Horse restored by the UCLA Film and Television Archive, as well as Killer of Sheep commentary by Burnett and Richard Pena, a short video documentary with the cast of Killer of Sheep and the film's archivist Ross Lipman, the Killer of Sheep trailer, and liner notes by critic Armond White.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:25 am

Great news! You already know how much I loved Killer of Sheep. I attended yet another screening of it a couple of days ago. My Brother's Wedding is also quite good; the 2-disc set by Milestone/New Yorker is scheduled to contain both the original cut and the newly re-edited version of the film (which is the one I've seen). The older short films included in the set are Several Friends, The Horse, and When It Rains. And there's also a new short, Quiet as Kept, which deals with Katrina.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:08 pm

I missed the screening of My Brother's Wedding at the CIFF, so I'm relieved to see it making the way to DVD so quickly. After meeting Mr. Burnett last spring I definitely am curious to see more of his films.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:17 am

I think you'll like it. The film played at the Toronto Film Festival back in '83 and at the ND/NF series in New York a year later, but it never received proper theatrical distribution, which, according to Armond White, was a "a catastrophic blow to the development of American pop culture."
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:26 pm

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmakers Apocalypse was just released on DVD yesterday. Would have been nice if this was included in the Apocalypse Now complete dossier but this film can stand on its own.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:29 am

Thanks to Facets, BFI's 3-disc collection of films from the Lindsay Anderson-coined "Free Cinema" movement, the precursor for the British New Wave, is now available in the U.S.

O Dreamland (dir. Lindsay Anderson, UK, 1953, 12 mins)
Momma Don't Allow ( dir. Karel Reisz/Tony Richardson, UK, 1956, 22 mins)
Together (dir. Lorenza Mazzetti, UK, 1956, 52 mins)
Wakefield Express (dir. Lindsay Anderson, UK, 1952, 30 mins)
Nice Time (dir. Alain Tanner/Claude Goretta, UK, 1957, 17 mins)
The Singing Street (dir. Norton Park Group/Nigel McIsaac, UK, 1952, 18 mins)
Everyday Except Christmas (dir. Lindsay Anderson, UK, 1957, 40 mins)
Refuge England (dir. Robert Vas, UK, 1959, 27 mins)
Enginemen (dir. Michael Grigsby, UK, 1959, 21mins)
We Are the Lambeth Boys (dir. Karel Reisz, UK, 1959, 52 mins)
Food for a Blush (dir. Elizabeth Russell, UK, 1959, 30 mins)
One Potato Two Potato (dir. Leslie Daiken, UK, 1957, 21 mins)
March to Aldermaston (anonymous, UK, 1959, 33 mins)
The Vanishing Street (dir. Robert Vas, UK, 1962, 18 mins)
Tomorrow's Saturday (dir. Michael Grigsby, UK, 1962, 18 mins)
Gala Day (dir. John Irvin, UK, 1963, 26 mins)

Extra features include Small Is Beautiful, a 2006 documentary about the movement.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:30 am

Hans-Jrgen Syberberg's masterful Our Hitler: A Film from Germany is now available on DVD from Facets/Filmgalerie 451. A short documentary covering the film's New York release is included on the 2-disc set, which also comes with an essay booklet.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk