US releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: US releases

Postby wpqx » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:00 am

Does anyone even know if Weine's Deception exists or is it considered lost? I've been looking for it for about 7 years now.
wpqx

Postby A » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:42 pm

What's the original title? "Deception" doesn't ring a bell with me...

Great to see a massive Melies package finally arriving. That's exactly what I've been looking for. I need a new Job!!

The Hands of Orlac is a pretty good and quite impressive take on a familar story. I can recommend it, especially since it features Conrad Veidt in the leading role!
Secrets of a Soul is another German classic, and supposed to be also very interesting. Haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
A

Postby wpqx » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:04 pm

My mistake, Genuine was the name of the Wiene film.

Deception is an Ernst Lubitsch film from 1921 that I've also been unable to find.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:20 am

According to imdb," [Genuine's] full-length version can only be viewed at the Munich City Film Museum archive in Germany."
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:52 am

my guess is it isn't subtitled
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:53 am

Probably not.

I assume that you've seen the 43-minute condensation of the film on Kino's disc of Caligari.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:20 am

Well there have been some great strides with silent German films in the last few years, so I hope this may one day be fully restored.
wpqx

Postby A » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:08 pm

I've also wanted to see that film for a long time. Maybe I should make a trip to Munich.
Any known reasons why this hasn't been restored, yet?
A

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:32 am

Black Legion (1937)

Brother Orchid (1940)

Lady Killer (1933)

Picture Snatcher (1933)

Smart Money (1931)

The Mayor of Hell (1933)

6 Discs / Warner Home Video / March 25
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:50 pm

It's amazing how quickly these sets become completely obscure. Of all the film libraries, Paramount is without a doubt the worst in DVD releases. Part of this is because they sold all their films prior to 1950 to Universal and it seems like they're ignoring them for spite. Lubitsch's work has taken ages to come around (some still missing), Josef Von Sternberg's early glory days, Stroheim's Wedding March, the list goes on.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk