US releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: US releases

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:52 am

Yes, of course, but why obscure?

I should point out that unlike the films in volumes 1 and 2, which were previously released under generically titled Gangsters and Tough Guys Collections respectively, those mentioned above are being released on DVD for the first time.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:32 pm

True but most of the films are vampire food.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:53 am

The Big Trail (1930)

2-Disc Fox Grandeur Special Edition

Digitally restored and re-mastered from the original 70mm widescreen presentation as well as in full-frame standard frame / English Stereo and English and Spanish subtitles / May 13

[Commentary with film historian/author Richard Schickel on the 70mm widescreen presentation
The Creation of John Wayne
Raoul Walsh: A Man in His Time
The Big Vision: The Grandeur Process
The Making of The Big Trail
Galleries
Publicity
Original Posters
Pressbook Gallery
Trailers]
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:49 am

That's interesting when a public domain film gets a huge two disc special edition. I've never seen the film just because so many crappy prints of it have been floating around, but I suppose I'll pick this up now, I've been meaning to see more Walsh films.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:02 am

How about the likes of Sadie Thompson, White Heat, High Sierra, They Live by Night, The Roaring Twenties and Objective, Burma!?

Needless to say, Walsh was one of the most versatile and prolific filmmakers in Hollywood.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:38 pm

I've seen all of the above, look forward to more.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:31 pm

Flicker Alley, those wonderful people that brought us the Mellies set are scheduled to release Abel Gance's monumental La Roue on May 6th in a 2 disc set. I have not found a list of special features, other than a new score by Robert Israel. There is no set release date but there is also some product information on their website on Gance's breakthrough 1919 version of J'Accuse. Glad to see more Gance coming out on DVD especially these two films that have largely been known only by reputation.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:09 pm

This is certainly good news. By the way, both are listed as 2-disc sets.

La Roue

"This new restoration with a running time of nearly four and a half hours, accompanied by Robert Israel's symphonic score, is the fullest presentation of La Roue to reach the public since 1923. It at last allows audiences today to experience the amazing, poetic vision that Abel Gance brought to the world. The DVD also includes a short film that provides a vivid documentary record of the great work in production, along with a booklet containing an outstanding essay by William M. Drew on the history and impact of La Roue, and comments by Robert Israel on the score."

J'Accuse

"Lobster Films Studios, Paris, working in collaboration with Netherlands Filmmuseum have culled materials from the Lobster Collection, the Czech archive in Prague, the Cinematheque Francaise, and the Netherlands Filmmuseum to make the best possible and most complete edition of the original 1919 edit of the film."
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:34 pm

Both films are scheduled to be shown on TCM, which I imagine is not a coincidence.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:54 am

Nope. And I'll make-do with the TCM screenings.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk