US releases

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: US releases

Postby wpqx » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:22 am

I saw La Roue years ago with French intertitles and presumably abridged, although it was nearly 4 hours so I'm not sure how much was missing. Still was able to get a decent sense of what Gance was doing and with the few films of his I've seen he's been one of the most incredible director's I've encountered.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:06 am

TCM is also showing Kevin Brownlow's 1968 documentary, Abel Gance: The Charm of Dynamite.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Thu May 01, 2008 2:26 am

Description courtesy of Facets Multimedia

"Heinz Emigholz, the premier purveyor of architectural oddities (D'Annunzio's Cave; Goff in the Desert), offers a stunning portrait of urban Los Angeles through the houses of Austrian-American architect Rudolph Schindler. Using no voiceover, archival photos, or other conventions of standard documentaries, the film presents beautifully composed shots of 40 of Schindler's houses in the order in which they were built. Emigholz's style is formal and subtle, but the cumulative effect is a provocative meditation on Schindler's ideas regarding architecture and environment. "I would happily rank Schindler's Houses [2007] on the short list of essential modern movies about our city's physical and social geography" (Scott Foundas, LA Weekly). Part of Emigholz's "Photography and Beyond" series. I ncludes 40 minutes of additional footage and original press kit."

[This was one of the better films I watched at TIFF '07; more to come (hopefully)].

Now Available on DVD (Facets).
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Tue May 27, 2008 11:03 pm

King Hu's Come Drink with Me (1966) is now available, in a superior edition, courtesy of the Weinstein Company.

DVDBeaver
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Hotel America Hôtel des Amériques (1981)

I Don't Kiss J'embrasse pas (1991)

My Favorite Season Ma saison préférée (1993)

Wild Reeds Les Roseaux sauvages (1994)

Lions Gate / 3-disc set / July 22
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:25 am

Finally, a DEFA film DVD garnered some attention from a major U.S. publication: Konrad Wolf and Wolfgang Kohlhaase's excellent Solo Sunny (1980), released last week by the about-to-be-dissolved First Run Features under its DEFA Collection banner, was featured in the NY Times recently. Gerhard Klein's equally pertinent Berlin-Schönhauser Corner (1957), which also hit the shelves the same day, could've also easily been covered.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:53 pm

Marco Ferreri Collection

Info courtesy of Koch Lorber http://www.kochlorberfilms.com/product.asp?ID=KLF-3163
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:15 am

Alex Proyas' Dark City (1998) - Director's Cut / July 29

Terence Malick's The New World (2005) - The Extended Cut / Oct 14
arsaib4

Previous

Return to Film Talk