Kino DVD

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Kino DVD

Postby wpqx » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:30 pm

DVD Planet has all Kino DVD's (or at least all the ones they carry) on sale for 45% off their regular price. A great time to stock up. The sale lasts until July 31st.

click here
wpqx

Re: Kino DVD

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:14 pm

Description courtesy of Kino:

"Kino International is proud to release on DVD a definitive and unprecedented restoration of one of the most important films of all time: Sergei Eisenstein's BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN (1925). Widely considered one the most influential silent film ever made, this undisputed masterpiece is now available in a cut as close as possible to Eisenstein's original vision, which premiered in Moscow in December of 1925.

Kino's two-DVD boxed set of Sergei Eisenstein's BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN will prebook on September 25, 2007, with a SRP of 29.95. Kino's BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN DVD will be available to the general public on October 23.

With a gamut of exclusive special features, Kino's BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN DVD offers a 42-minute documentary ("Tracing Battleship Potemkin") on the making and restoration of the film, a photo gallery, and another presentation of the film with original Russian intertitles and optional English subtitles."
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:03 am

. . . dies of old age waiting for The General Line to be released on DVD
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:45 pm

Who said it isn't available on DVD?! It is, and with English subs, just not here. But don't tell me you aren't pleased about Potemkin.
arsaib4

Postby A » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Sounds good. Eisenstein is in dire need of rediscovery from my side. I've only seen a washed out edited German version of "Battleship Potemkin" when i was a budding cineaste some seven years ago (I absolutely hated the film ). Since then I've probably seen more documentaries on Eisenstein, read more articles about his work, and some of his own theoretical texts (as well as seeing one or two of his unfinished films) than I've actually tried to see of his cinematic oeuvre.

It seems I have to finally rush to the trenches and shout Eisenstein for President!
A

Postby wpqx » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:12 pm

I'm just weary of "definitive editions" for films that have been released on DVD some 4 or 5 times already.

As far as Eisenstein re-discovery couldn't disagree more. I like the man's work but he's so much of an institution in film that his work loses its original power. His films, Potemkin more than any other, have been dissected so often that watching the films sometimes feel more like homework. I realize this is also the case with Welles and Citizen Kane.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:44 pm

A: I believe The General Line was also released in Germany recently by Arte. This edition is said to be the most complete. Do you have any further info?
arsaib4

Postby A » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:57 pm

Yes, wpqx you are absolutely right. But that's probably the main reason why I maybe had been avoiding his work for so many years (besides not liking Potemkin and Nevsky after the first viewing). I think I might have finally overcome all that ballast and discover the "original" impact of his work. That's why I'm so happy and enthusiastic about Eisenstein recently. I wouldn't have expected this happening now.
A

Postby A » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:15 pm

You are absolutely right arsaib!

Just did some surfing, and the running time on the German Pal DVD is listed as 131 minutes. Unfortunately it only has German subtitles. So if you're not familiar with the Russian language there will be some obstacles. But maybe this isn't such a huge problem with a silent film and especially Eisenstein

Some of the press text goes like this:
"For this version, Russian film scholar Naum Klejman largely reconstrocted Eisenstein's original conception of the film".

I'll try to check it out when I'm back in Erlangen. I'm sure the library in Nuremberg carries the DVD. Otherwise I may be tempted to purchase it. So far the Arte DVD editions of silent films have been first rate (I can especially recommend the complete works of Lotte Reiniger).
A

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:04 am

I believe the French edition is about 10 mins shorter. But it does have English subs. wpqx might have to make-do if he wants to see the film before, you know, croacking.

Could you tell us more about the Lotte Reiniger set?
arsaib4

Next

Return to Film Talk