Kino DVD

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Kino DVD

Postby wpqx » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:33 pm

I've seen a fairly complete old VHS copy, I'll be patient.
wpqx

Postby A » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:34 pm

The Lotte Reiniger Edition is I believe a project by the German/French TV program ARTE and some other companies (I wasn't able to get more info at the moment), to present all of the works of German born animation artist Reiniger on DVD.

Yes, they are actually trying to get ALL her work published in the best possible conditions (some films have been restored), on 4 DVD Sets (some are double DVDs) which can be purchased seperately.

The company responsible for this is "absolutmedien" (the page is in German but easy to navigate), and the 4th and last DVD will be available in October. This one will contain her Dr. Dolittle movies as well as films that have been thought to be lost, her first and last film, and her advertisement work.

I have two of the DVDs at home and am completely satisfied. Nice booklet (short text on each(!) film), good picture and sound, sometimes several soundtracks, sometimes none (some of the films were silent). Reiniger worked in England and in Germany, so about half of her films are in English and are also presented this way (with optional German synchronization). Unfortunately there are no English subtitles (maybe they are planning to "sell" this to a foreign company - could imagine BFI for example would be interested).

The individual Sets cost between 20 and 30 euros.
A

Postby wpqx » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:43 am

There was nothing posted on Kino's site that I could find, but according to Masters of Cinema Kino is releasing I Want to Go Home (1989), Life is a Bed of Roses(1983), Melo (1986), and Love Unto Death (1984) all directed by Alain Resnais.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:19 am

Kino's site is a little slow regarding DVD updates. Very pleased about this news; Mlo, I think, is the best of the group.

Kino is also set to release four Paradjanov films in February, including the great Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors. The other three -- Ashik Kerib, The Color of Pomegranates, and The Legend of Suram Fortress -- are reissues, but they weren't previously available on standalone DVDs.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:05 pm

Suram Fortress is the only film I hadn't seen. The Resnais comes as a pleasant surprise because I was recently planning on tackling his work, looks like I'll just put it off a few more months.
wpqx

Postby wpqx » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:05 am

The Resnais films are now scheduled to be released February 19th.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:18 am

Certain letters from ezboard haven't migrated properly (e.x. Mélo has been reduced to Mlo in my post).
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:22 am

Certainly appear to be a few kinks to be worked out. And apparently an 8 followed by a ) still winds up looking like
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:24 am

I guess we've only jumped to the 20th century, not the 21st.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:48 am

Victor Sjostrom double bill cover and info here
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk