JLG on DVD

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

JLG on DVD

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:19 am

HISTOIRE(S) DU CINMA is being released on March 20th in France (Gaumont). The 4-DVD box set will feature English subtitles.

DVD 1
Toutes les histoires (51 min)
Une histoire seule (42 min)

DVD 2
Seul le cinma (26 min)
Fatale beaut (28 min)

DVD 3
La monnaie de labsolu (26 min)
Une vague nouvelle (27 min)

DVD 4
Le contrle de lunivers (27 min)
Les signes parmi nous (37 min)

Extra Features

DVD 1: Press Conference - Cannes 1988
DVD 2: Press Conference - Cannes 1997
DVD 4: 2 x 50 ans de cinma franais - 1995
arsaib4

Re: JLG on DVD

Postby wpqx » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:21 am

Nice to hear. I was a little upset to find that the French DVD featuring three of Renoir's silent films doesn't have English intertitles. The Godard films listed here sound like new films to me. Hopefully Facets won't delay in picking them up, or god willing a US distributor will put 'em out.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:03 am

Correct. The Renoir silents (La Fille de l'eau, Sur un air de Charleston and La Petite marchande d'allumettes) only feature French intertitles. But the quality is excellent (this Studio Canal DVD made my 2006 list). Don't worry, its American counterpart is coming soon.

I thought you knew about Histoire(s). It's a collection of essayistic (and experimental) video works that reflect upon the history of our recent past and how it engages with cinema. Most of Godard's recent films carry bits and pieces of this all-encompassing effort, which started in the late 80's. It'd be wonderful if Facets decides to release it here.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:54 am

Sounds like a plan. I can read French, but it takes me centuries. As you are aware, anything from Godard is golden.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:03 pm

This is great news. Ever since I missed a special screening of the complete series two years ago, I was hoping for a subtitled release. Now I'm waiting for a small heritage by an unknown relative.
A

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:55 pm

Lionsgate's 3-disc Godard box set is scheduled for Feb 5.

Passion / First Name: Carmen (Prnom Carmen) / Dtective / Oh, Woe is Me (Hlas pour moi)
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:00 am

Criterion is putting out a double disc edition of Pierrot Le Fou.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:14 am

The inclusion of the documentary, Godard, l'amour, la posie, is probably what warranted a second disc. The Criterion incidentally is slightly more expensive than the 3-disc 4-film Lionsgate release which, much like its Renoir set, is a bargain at around $25.
arsaib4

Postby A » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:38 am

Boy, I absolutely HAVE to own this... You should see me salivating in front of my laptop

Too bad I'm so incredibly broke that I'm already starting to worry about not being able to attend the Berlinale in February.

Looks like no DVDs for me at least until April next year...
A

Postby wpqx » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:56 pm

I know the feeling. I haven't really purchased a DVD in the last year, which hurts considering how I used to buy around 50 a month.
wpqx

Next

Return to Film Talk