Naruse / Mizoguchi on DVD / VHS

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Naruse / Mizoguchi on DVD / VHS

Postby wpqx » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:15 am

I'll keep that site in mind next time I feel the urge to drop several hundred dollars on DVD's. That 2-Disc edition of Visconti's Ludwig looks mighty tempting as well.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:42 am

Eureka/Masters of Cinema plans to release the following Mizoguchi films on DVD(sets) in the upcoming months:

Gion bayashi (1953)
Sansh day (1954)

Uwasa no onna (1954)
Chikamatsu monogatari (1954)

Oy-sama (1951)
Ugetsu monogatari (1953)

Ykihi (1955)
Akasen chitai (1956)
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:49 pm

Please come out in the US. Miss Oyu is one I've been desperately looking for.

However I wonder what the status is on all of his earlier films. Of course critically speaking his highest praise is reserved for his 50's work, but I know there's more out there from the past. I'm not sure how much of it is "lost" or what's just not made available. I've only seen 5 films of his made in the 30's and 40's (47 Ronin counts as one) and feel that this isn't enough to truly grasp his work.

I guess I can add Ozu to that category as well, and even Naruse whom I've only seen three films from all made after 1950. Ozu on the other hand has been getting some cheap Asian DVD's mass produced of some of his earlier work.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:00 am

I don't have the list in front of me but a number of early Mizoguchis simply don't exist anymore, and a few are unreleasable considering how much the prints have deteriorated. Having said that, R1 land still has a long way to go before catching up with the rest.

Another Naruse box set is on the way, and once again it's being released in the U.K. The good news is that Floating Clouds is part of it; bad news, at least for those who already own the Criterion, so is When a Women Ascends the Stairs.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:43 am

I am surprised at this considering just how much Americans are obsessed with Japanese culture, at least in this city they are. With how many sushi bars, anime DVD's and the big wave of Japanese horror I would hope more efforts to bring classic Japanese films would be made, there IS a demand for them.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:35 am

I think there's more of a demand for genre-related products; chambara flicks seemingly hit the shelves every week. But Criterion/Home Vision/Eclipse have done quite a bit to fill some key gaps. However, we could certainly use the services of a distributor like Eureka-MoC.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:22 am

Looks like the Gion bayashi/Sansh day set is scheduled for Nov 19th.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:02 pm

Will keep my eyes open for that.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:12 am

For those who're interested (and I hope there are a few), the third film in the upcoming Naruse box set by BFI is Late Chrysanthemums ("available" in the U.S. on VHS). As mentioned earlier, the other two are Floating Clouds and When a Woman Ascends the Stairs.

Extras
Spread over the 3 discs:

*Freda Freiberg, Japanese cinema expert: audio commentaries; video interview with Adrian Martin; essay
*Paul Willeman: video and written essays
*Barnard Eisenschitz: video interview with director Teruo Ishii, Naruse's assistant
*Adrian Martin: new essay
*Theatrical trailer for When a Woman Ascends the Stairs
*Fully illustrated booklet with essays.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:23 pm

What's sad is I think I've seen Late Chrysanthemums but I can't tell you anything about it, I don't even remember if I liked it.
wpqx

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk