Naruse / Mizoguchi on DVD / VHS

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: Naruse / Mizoguchi on DVD / VHS

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:45 am

Well, here you go, then. As they say, if you don't remember it, it's new to you (or something like that). I have it on VHS and I'll make do for now. Again, I wish BFI was releasing the more obscure Naruse efforts.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:13 am

All Naruse is pretty much obscure to me.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:13 am

I think that's true with most, though some writers in the west pretend otherwise.

Special Features for the aforementioned Mizoguchi set (unconfirmed):

New, officially-licenced, restored high-definition transfer.
Video discussion about Sansho Dayu by Japanese film expert/critic, festival programmer, and filmmaker Tony Rayns.
New and improved English subtitle translation.
Lavish 80-page book featuring archival imagery; articles by Robin Wood (film critic and author) and Mark Le Fanu (author of Mizoguchi and Japan); and a full reprint of an acclaimed translation of Ogai Mori's original 1915 story on which Sansho Dayu is based.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:39 am

The second Mizoguchi set from Eurkea/MoC featuring Uwasa no onna (1954) and Chikamatsu monogatari (1954) is now available.

Extras include video discussions on both films by Tony Rayns and a booklet with essays by Mark Le Fanu and Keiko L. McDonald
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:27 am

The third Mizoguchi set from Eureka/MoC featuring Ugetsu monogatari (1953) and Oyû-sama (1951) is scheduled to be released on April 21.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:51 am

I was informed by Odd Obsession but they might not be getting the set for awhile due to the rather poor exchange rate right now, which seems to only be getting worse. Miss Oyu is tops on my list of Mizoguchi films to see.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:01 am

Things have gotten so bad that even the Canadians have started to pity our currency. It's a whole new feeling doing any business up there.

I'm also looking forward to Miss Oyu.
arsaib4

Previous

Return to Film Talk