DVD query ... whoever can help answer ... thanks ...

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: DVD query ... whoever can help answer ... thanks ...

Postby R6dw6C » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:35 am

Thanks a lot!

Too bad - but if I get the opportunity to buy it cheap, I will (The screenshots, at least, doesn't look so bad). My only other option is a german dubbed VHS-Version in the wrong Aspect Ratio and with a terrible picture- and sound-quality. If possible, it has to be avoided...

Strange that I didn't notice there was a review on DVDBeaver - if I'm looking for reviews of international DVD-Releases by popular Directors, this is always my first adress. Great site, especially because of the comparisons.
R6dw6C

Postby arsaib4 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:51 am

You're welcome! DVDBeaver is certainly a very useful site.

I believe there's also an Australian DVD of L'Innocente which, unlike the U.K. one, is anamorphic and the subs are optional, but its quality is also said to be subpar at best. I haven't been able to find anything regarding the Russian DVD, except the fact that it's also anamorphic and features optional English subs.
arsaib4

Postby R6dw6C » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:29 am

That's really bad news.
I looked for this film since two years and when I finally digged out and looked at the said VHS copy two days ago, I thought "Oh my god, no way!".

Hopefully, Criterion or Eureka will pick it up soon.
R6dw6C

Postby wpqx » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:32 am

I have a bootleg of it somewhere buried in my closet. If I get a chance to watch it soon I'll give you a review.
wpqx

Postby R6dw6C » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:40 am

Quote:If I get a chance to watch it soon I'll give you a review.

Oh no, do you want to intensify my ordeal?

Go ahead, I'm sure it will be very interesting, though your review will maybe seduce me to watch the crappy VHS after all.
R6dw6C

Postby wpqx » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:18 pm

It probably is from a crappy VHS, I just got it because its Visconti and I ordered like 30 DVDs from this one guy so it was more an after thought.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:32 pm

Here's the Russian DVD (in case anyone was wondering).

I recently came across an article in which Rosenbaum was promoting the Nouveaux release. Perhaps he should first check with the experts!
arsaib4

Postby R6dw6C » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:57 am

Thanks! But for the time being, I gave it up. Probably It's just a matter of time till a better edition will be released, so I keep on waiting instead of spending (too much) money for a second-class DVD...
R6dw6C

Postby arsaib4 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:50 am

Good choice!
arsaib4

Previous

Return to Film Talk