New Yorker Films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: New Yorker Films

Postby trevor826 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:55 pm

I remember promising to write my thoughts on Historias Minimas for the Argentenian thread, I'll try and do it soon. I'm surprised it's only just getting a US dvd release but hopefully the wait will be worth it.

Cheers Trev.
trevor826

Postby wpqx » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:33 pm

You can never be surprised with the excessive amount of time it takes New Yorker to release something on DVD, its been going on two years since the theatrical release of Moolaade and nothing even on the horizon for that. I'm just a little upset that the supposed Celine and Julie Go Boating DVD has virtually disappeared and I've heard nothing about it for nearly a year. Early Rivette needs some love on DVD, even if half of them are overly long and unwatchable.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:06 pm

I'm sure New Yorker is waiting for the BFI release of Celine and Julie, which, as I mentioned in the U.K. thread, is scheduled for September. BFI is also releasing another Rivette gem, Paris nous appartient.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:24 pm

I wouldn't call Paris Nous Appartient a gem, but certainly a milestone in his career. I'm very curious to see some of his 9 hour plus films.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:37 am

The 12 1/2-hour masterpiece, Out 1: Noli Me Tangere, is rarely screened in its original form. The "shortened" version (255 mins), Out 1: Spectre, played at the Anthology Archives in NYC a couple of months ago.
arsaib4

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:46 am

Thanks for offering to write a review of Intimate Stories, Trevor. That'd be great!
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:51 am

Rivette unfortuately seems to be the most ignored New Wave director when it comes to DVD, with Rohmer and Truffaut clearly dominating percentage wise. Le Pont du Nord I heard had a recent theatrical showing somewhere in NYC, but that's still a good 12 hour drive for me, and I don't think any movie is worth that.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:59 pm

I know a couple of individuals who flew to London recently to attend the National Film Theater's screening of Out 1: Noli Me Tangere.

This work is emblematic of Rivette's dense, intertextual efforts demanding not only at least a working knowledge of film, but other art forms as well (which I know you do) to be fully appreciated. Aeschylus' "Prometheus Bound" and "Seven Against Thebes," along with Balzac's "History of the Thirteen," primarily haunt its confines, but that's just a tip of the iceberg.

I think Le Pont du Nord played as part of a Bulle Ogier retro.

As for DVD, it's not a pretty picture. Jeanne la Pucelle is available in severely "hacked" versions. The DVDs of La Bande des quatre, Secret dfense and Va Savoir are barely passable. Only La Belle noiseuse and The Story of Marie and Julien are proper. We need more respect to be alloted to this man who was the first among the Cahiers' critics to direct a feature. The French box set doesn't feature subs, so it's useless to most.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:22 pm

I've watched a French film or two without subs and I'd rather not do it again if I don't have to, still its easier to follow than watching Hou Hsiao-Hsien's City of Sadness without subs.
wpqx

Postby A » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:53 pm

Hah, Rivette is awfully hard to track down. When I was in Berlin they were screening Paris nous appartient, but unfortunately without subs.
I would love to see the "original" version of Out One: Spectre, but it's so rarely screened, and I heard the negative is in a bad condition (and Rivette also changed some of it over the decades). Do you know anything about it arsaib (or how the public reacted to the recent screening, as I read quite much about it before the event, and nothing after it…)? :)

Luckily I have one and two thirds of a Rivette film on Video (taped from TV, with subs ), though I didn't have the time to watch them, yet. Celine et Julie vont en bateau is sitting on my shelf for almost two years now, Duelle for just 10 months (unfortunately the first 20 minutes are missing :) Still the only film by Rivette I have seen so far (missed some other screenings of his films, too.)
Looked it up at imdb, and I think it was directed in the 70s, and not in 1981, as listed…
A

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk