New Yorker Films

This is the place to talk about films from around the world.

Re: New Yorker Films

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:25 am

New Yorker/Milestone will release a 3-disc edition of I Am Cuba on October 23rd.

Disc 1 - new high-def master from original Russian 35mm fine grain interpositive; video interview with Martin Scorsese; language tracks in Russian and Spanish with English subtitles; Cuban version of opening credits; original Milestone trailer; stills gallery

Disc 2 - THE SIBERIAN MAMMOTH (2005), 91-minute documentary about the making of I AM CUBA; 10-minute City Cinematheque interview with screenwriter Yevgeny Yevtushenko

Disc 3 - A FILM ABOUT MIKHAIL KALATOZOV (2006), 120-minute documentary
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:33 am

Curious, but wasn't I am Cuba already released by Milestone? I also am not sure whether Moses and Aaron actually was released.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:08 pm

Yes, Milestone has released Kalatozov's film before. But I believe the earlier DVD had Russian narration on top of the original audio. That is reportedly being corrected. And since a new negative is being used, expect a better transfer. So this is pretty much a "Criterion-esque" edition.

No word on the Straub/Huillet.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:51 pm

Its available to order on Facets website, so next time I go by there I'll check it out.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:18 am

Any news?
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:31 am

I forgot last time, and haven't been to Facets in over a week, so I have to remind myself again. Now I just have to figure out how the hell I'm going to see the rest of the Straub Hulliet films.
wpqx

Postby arsaib4 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:46 am

I hate to say it but Straub might also have to go before that happens.
arsaib4

Postby wpqx » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:04 am

I'll gladly take a retro even if incomplete. To think only one (two with Moses and Aaron) of their films is available in any format in this country just seems ridiculous.
wpqx

Postby A » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:09 am

Yes, you are completely right. But in Germany where they have been working for a significant amount of time, and made some of their finest films, NONE are available in any format...
Fortunately some of them get shown on TV or in good repertoire cinems from time to time (That's where I caught most of them).
A

Postby arsaib4 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:20 am

Moses and Aaron is currently on hold.
arsaib4

PreviousNext

Return to Film Talk